Mallet finger swan neck deformity

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, my name is Michael. Couple years ago i had my little finger broken in DIP  section. Tendon was torn with fragment of bone. I had surgery with Kirschner wire but it didnt help. About a year ago i have noticed that my finfer is now bent up. I discovered that its called swan neck deformity. I started to feel pain in that deformed finger that follows me every day. Did someone have a similar problem? Can fusion of DIP joint can release me from constant pain in that unlucky finger? Is this surgery decreasing mobility? Or is there other way of treatment? Best wishes and thank you for your reply.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would have the distal interphalangeal joint fused.

On a little finger, this should not be disabling unless you use your pinky in some special way.

My index finger DIP is fused for 30 years, no pain, no difficuty adjusting,

• Posted

Thanks for reply. I had many medical examination and everything went well. But pain still exist so I guess it has to by that deformed finger. I will consider joint fushion. Thanks again.

• Posted

Dear ihavenonickname can I ask You a question? Is mobility of inger after Dip joint fusion limited? Can you tighten fist youtr fist properly? 
    • Posted

The MCP and the PIP will move just like they do now.

Only the DIP will no longer move.

Take a piece of masking tape and wrap it twice around the DIP. Now make a fist.

Your fist will be just a wee bit different because the tip of your little finger will be straight. The other two joints of the little finger will be the same as before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.