Broken ankle for 7 weeks -- is this normal??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I fractured my fibula in one place after falling down the stairs on 10/16/16. It seemed pretty standard but the first doctor I saw thought I might need surgery and redirected me immediately to a different doctor; he said completely otherwise and put me in a plaster cast.

Yesterday, 12/2/16, I got my cast off and got new xrays. When I walked into the office and saw the first xray on the screen, I was ecstatic because it looked completely normal. Then when my doctor came in to go over the other views with me, I saw the side view that showed my bone was still very much broken. I couldn't believe that despite that my doctor said I was on the right track and encouraged me to start walking with an air cast boot and ditch the crutches ASAP. I even asked how much I should be walking, and he said "however much you want."

I'm really confused. I have six weeks until my next check up so I'm on my own here. How do I know that walking with the boot is actually not going to make the bone any worse? I would be fine if it was even mostly fused together but I'm telling you it did not look like very much improvement. I feel incredibly uncomfortable giving my foot all this new stress knowing that it isn't even together yet. I'm afraid to even take the boot off because I don't know what it will do if I move my ankle too much, or what too much even is. Should I actually be working towards ditching the crutches soon? Or should I keep playing it as safe as possible until I go in again??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you do not trust your physician, get a different physician..

Did you see a crack, or a separation. Bone forms a callus. Y

An x ray taken when you die will still show the fracture.

• Posted

It appeared to be a pretty significant crack. It's not entirely all the way through but there is a decent gap between the bone and it doesn't seem aligned. My doctor did point out calluses which is why he seemed optimistic I suppose. It's not that I don't trust him, it's just I didn't receive very much of an explanation and I have a lot of anxiety over anything that will complicate my healing process.

• Posted

Understandably!

If he pointed out the callus, you are healing.

Personally, I would give it a couple of weeks with touch weight bearing.

You should see my femur, snapped in two and separated...healed but not the way I expected to look.

hugs

• Posted

Hi Charhex,

?This is just my humble opinion and I am in no ways medically gifted!  LOL! BUT, if it were me and again, this is just me..........I would do whatever I? feel comfortable with doing. In other words, if they told me I could put weight on it and I just did not feel ready or at that point yet, then I would NOT.  Of course, if they told me NOT to put weight on it, I definitely would not put weight on it.  But I'm weird like that!  I had a mental block and just could not and would not, put weight on my left foot, even when my doctor told me I could, when I got a couple of weeks of physical theraphy done.  I just could not put weight on it.  Not because it hurt, but because I just did not feel ready AND I was worried it would break again.  So, for about 3 weeks of physical theraphy, the wonderful therapist (who was really patient and kind) tried and tried to get me to put weight on it and I refused!  Am I glad I refused?  YEP!  I sure am.  I was not ready - emotionally. 

So, you do what YOU feel is right.  Again, just my humble opinoin!  Good luck!  biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.