Lansoprazole and B12 supplements

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I'm on lansoprazole twice a day. I have in the past suffered a few times with low b12. I know taking lansoprazole can lower b12. I've only been on lansoprazole for a few months and I think my b12 is low again. I get tingles in my feet and legs. I've Googled to see if you can take the supplements with the lansoprazole but I can't find anything about if you can. Do you know if you can take them together? The b12 tablets I bought from a shop and used to work in the past. Just need to know if you can take together.

Sarah

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi. ive been on lansoprazole for 4 years now. my b 12 and magnesium levels went low. i took both magnesium and b 12 supplements 6 months ago and everything went to normal. just dont take them together with lansoprazole. wait at least 2 hours and there should be no problems. good luck.
  • Posted

That's a tough one b/c I have been searching for that too. It has been documented that PPIs do decrease/block the prodcution of intrinsic factor which is needed for vit B12 absorption.  If you have to be on PPIs, my guess is that getting some B12 supplementation would be be better than nothing.  I had my levels checked recently and they are normal but I too have the symptoms that you speak of.  If B12 deficiency is a real concern, I might suggest you talk to your PCP to get a blood test and perhaps a subsequent injection of B12.  Good luck and keep researching.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.