Can GERD/LPR weird symptoms like ...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can GERD/LPR cause salty, or metallic taste and pains in shoulder arm, and back? There's a metallic taste in my mouth, yet lips taste salty. There's also a pinching pain on my left shoulder, a bit of pain on my back, chest, and arm. Typically I would think something is wrong with the heart, but this has been going on too long. EKG and heart enzymes were tested October 30th, and all was fine.

Lately I've also been getting a bit dizzy or panicky. Something strange is that I tend to feel better if I'm on antibiotics for something.

I haven't had any testing for LPR. My family doctor just said I had GERD, and tossed some pills my way. I have no symptoms of GERD, but have symptoms of LPR. I'm so confused. sad

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Lpr is essentially a silent version of gerd, meaning you won't necessarily have the typical gerd symptoms, treatment can be the same. Try the meds and give them time to work, can take a good few weeks before things start to settle. If not then see your dr again

• Posted

What meds did he give you and when did he say to take them? My 1st ent said I had allergies then 2 mos later said Lpr as I was so hoarse from all the mucous and constantly clearing my throat. Gave me raniditine at bedtime told me to wait 3 mos so I waited all summer and no better went to gastro she said should be taking a ppi 1 hr before breakfast and 2 before dinner also said takes time I'm so sick of this disease seems like meds work then they stop elevated the bed and watching diet no dairy etc went to a new ent said the same thing so I feel like I wasted all summer waiting for other med to work now I have a polyp on my vocal cord that has to be removed I'm freaking out when u constantly clear your throat u bang those vocal cords together I do the saline nasal rinse and an antihistamine sorry twice a day and that helps. Do u smoke just curious but yeah all Drs say these meds take time

• Posted

I was given raniditine, but have only tried it once. I did have a ppi, but it gave me horrible anxiety. My biggest hangup when it comes to these meds is that I haven't been officially diagnosed. No tests, no peeking around, the doctor just listened to a couple symptoms and that was it.

Yep, I'm a smoker, which doesn't help things I'm sure. After my gallbladder surgery is when symptoms of LPR popped up. Tons of mucus and a hoarse voice. That's gone away, maybe because I have to take antihistamines, but in its place I got the chest and shoulder pains, more like the left trap area. Between that and sinus problems, I don't think the doctors know what they're doing. lol

• Posted

I'd be surprised if a ppi can cause anxiety, you may be associating it wrongly- which is is not a criticism, it's very easy to do with an anxious mind

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.