IBS and bad breath - what do I avoid

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had shocking bad breath for about 10 years. After a lot of pain and over being miserable, my doctor and I are sifting through all of my symptoms to get to the bottom of this.

So far it's looking like IBS.

Are there any IBS sufferers with bad breath that can let me know some things to help and foods to avoid from this moment on. The anxiety I feel when speaking to someone is huge because it's all I think about. Please help...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have no evidence that it will help but it seems logical that if IBS is caused by fermenting food in your body then stopping that by not eating the food that ferments in your particular body might stop the bad breath.

Hence may I suggest you read up all the stuff on this forum and other places about the Monash University FODMAP diet.     In just a few weeks you should know if it works for you and its free!    What could be better?

Get some expert advice from a dietician and your GP and go for it.   Don't forget to tell us if it works!

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

I would get your doctor to test for helicopter bacteria.  This can cause IBS and bad breath.  Quite a lot of doctors forget to test for it. 
  • Posted

Yeah, I had bad breath for a while and did not realize it. What I did was to simply start flossing, and use an anti-ceptic mouthwash. That helped significantly. Now I don't have bad breath any more. I do it 3 times a day. It's a lot of maintenance, but its worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.