Withdrawal from 10mg Diazepam after 3 months!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, thank you for being here for me.

I'm cutting down on Diazepam after just over 3 months, I was on 5mg in the morning and 5mg before bedtime and my doctor cut my morning dose 3 days ago. Must say not feeling great in the evenings now with headaches and dizziness primarily, has anyone else done this at this rate or any advice from your good selves? Shall I go back to half in the morning and take it from there?

Thanks in advance,

George

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes I would say 1/2 reduction is going to make you feel bad but you have only been on for 3 months so I would think the sooner you are off them the better. I have never felt anything quite so bad as benzo withdrawal I have been trying to come off for ages but was in a larger dose for longer time. For me it's anxiety and insomnia. I reckon each reduction takes at least 10 days to get over. If you can I would stick this reduction out as my experience has been that any reduction over say 10% makes you feel rough and you should never go back. Then maybe have a week or two off and go again at the last half more slowly, I am making tiny reductions now and not really feeling it much but will probably take another 6 months. You need to decide what's best but if I were you I would get off them reasonably quickly as you have only been on for 3 months. Check out water titration if you want to come down more slowly. I go 10% over 2 weeks. This was a recommend from this site. Good luck I know you won't be feeling human but it will come back so hang in there and be kind to yourself

• Posted

Hi 

first of all I would say congratulations. You may have only been on it for three months but it effects different people in different ways.  If like me you get little support from your GP and really no understanding when you say you have symptoms you are not alone.  I have been on it for over eighteen months it takes me about 6 weeks to come down 1mg.  I split it morning and night and take a higher dose in the morning and a lesser dose at night.  When reducing I get chest pains leg pains and dizziness as well as a few other aches.  As this medicine works on the brain any stress when coming off it upsets the balance.  If you are suffering really badly go back to your GP and tell them you have come down too quickly you should be looking at coming down 1mg a week until you are down to 1mg then start to quarter your tablet as if you come down from 1mg to nothing you are not halfing the dose and that's where most of the nasty effects will be felt.

you will know your body listen to what it tells you, there is some advice that if you smoke it makes the diazepam less effective.  Positive if you do smoke but not worth starting.  If you can work through the symptoms the quicker you get off this terrible tablet the bette.  I am now down to four mg which is a great boost I can think again sometimes.  

The guidelines are wean yourself off gradually, more sinister sides effects if you come down too quickly.

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.