Update of my op on 30th November 2016

Posted , 9 users are following.

went in to hospital at 7.30 am, was all gowned up and prepared for op immediately, fibroid embolization. Got taken for op at 8.45am, op took around two hours in total under local anaesthetic, felt like ten mins!!! It's a bit surreal, you feel them and hear them but your zoned out too! On my return to the ward I was Put on a morphine pump for first 18 hrs, took an itchy reaction and nausea with it so they changed me onto slow release oxycodone taken every 12 hrs alongside paracetamol and ibrufen with oxycodone fast release to break through extreme pain, got out 31st November at 5pm. 

Wanted to sleep all the time in hospital but couldn't because I was sore and tender, bit like extreme period pain! The medication does work but the unfortunate side effect is extreme constipation which is agonising!! Got suppositories today,2nd December and thankfully they are working! This operation is not a walk in the park by any means!! I'm due back to work on the 12th of December, I will keep you updated on my progress.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Kathleen for telling us of your experience. I want this done early next year if I can.  Hope you heal quickly and everything goes well.
  • Posted

Thinking of getting that also i thought it was a walk in the park and what is morphine pump? And why do you have to go back is it just a check up?
    • Posted

Day 1:Operation in morning, takes 2hrs or round about, afterwards  lots of pain, the morphine pump is linked to you through a cannula in your arm and when you are sore you press a button to help the pain. Very drousy, managed a little soup then icecream.

Day 2: they switched to oral painkillers, very drousy, get home late afternoon with prescription of slow and fast pain relief and paracetamol and ibrufen, advised to take Senokot to relieve probable constipation. Have eaten two rounds of toast today.

Day 3: sore all day today, just lying on couch with hot water bottle, taking my medication, barely any appetite still! Had some baby rusks and toast.

Day 4: terrible constipation but with the aid or a suppository I finally managed a number 2, the relief was enormous, still very windy and belching a lot, taking rennies to help, managed a little chicken and potatoes and some toast today.still taking medication.

Day 5: a lot more energy today, still taking medication but only paracetamol and ibrufen and having to use suppositories but feeling loads better, had a little stew today. Taking yogurt drinks to help my stomache.

Day 6(today) feeling great today, had a good night sleep, not in pain at all, managed a number 2 naturally, even going out for a wee bit today.

Hope this daily rundown helps in giving you an example of how it might be, all in all I would definitely go down this route again if needed, I have to go back in six months so they can check how much shrinkage there has been, I'm hopeful of good results, take care and let me know how you get on yourself xxx

• Posted

It depends on your pain tolerance I was fine had pain the first night but wnt to the gym the following day. My frind went to work the next day

• Posted

Yeah I had to be cause my fibroids we so big and caused so much pain that never took pain medication to protect to my liver lol.
    • Posted

I agree with the WOW! I was in pain 5 days and I thought I had a high tolerance for pain. I'm happy to be past the pain and feeling great!

• Posted

I had UAE on Tuesday, was back on ward at 2pm, in my pjs by 2.30 and wanting to get up. I had coffee and toast straight away. Ate all my tea and several coffees. Wasnt allowed up till my catheter was removed at 6am. Went out for a cig, had breakfast and was allowed home at 10am.

Thursday I went for a job interview at 9am!

Today (Friday) my siaters have been to visit and we went out for lunch and window shopping.

I dont feel like Ive had surgery. Pain is certainly no worse than I have put up with over the last couple of years.

I feel like a fraud!!

• Posted

Thank you for all the info, Kathleen. I'm booked in to have this procedure on 16th Feb.

Feeling a bit nervous about the actual op but glad to hear that you feel it was worthwhile.

Can you notice any difference yet? My fibroids haven't been painful, just horrendous bleeding at times and a pregnant-looking stomach!

Hope you have fully recovered now

Lynn 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.