Can you Use digestive enzymes for gastritis?

Posted , 7 users are following.

As the title says Can you Use digestive enzymes for gastritis?

I have heard it can be bad but am not sure did anyone out there tried ?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure if they help but liquorice is good for it.

• Posted

First the cause of gastritis should be established.

It is not a good idea to just take some thing without knowing this.

If gastritis was caused by excess stomach acid, a proton pump inhibitor

like Omeprazol is recommended.

• Posted

I presume that before taking anything that's been recommended people look it up for themselves.

Omeprazol has side effect warnings such as stomach pain, nausea, vomiting and gas so perhaps it's not a good idea to take that without knowing more about it.

• Posted

Many of my friends, my wife, and myself took Omeprazol  for as long as a year and there were no adverse side effects like nausea,stomach pain, gas. However, if the symptoms have subsided, then quit taking it.

It is rather misguided to experiment with dubious "natural products"

with unknown, or uncertifed properties while the conditions for which one needs medication might get much worse, or even irreversible.

If you have the requisite background, you should  find out more as to the functional mechanism of  proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazol and its possible limitations.   

• Posted

I've used liquroice root for years and It's cleared up pancreatitus several times within a few days, as oppose to when I was hospitalised with it a few times and it took at least 5 days to get better. It's also helped me with gastritis several times and now I don't get either of those conditions.

Herbs are not  dubious; humans have been using them since the beginnings of our history. A lot is known about them, their side effects are fewer than drugs and it is modern medicine that is the newbie compared to herbs.

Many of their drugs contain extracts of herbs but not the antidotes which are in whole parts of plants of whole plants, which explains some of the side effects of drugs.

• Posted

What was your reason to take them for so long ? and did they help?
    • Posted

According to another hypothesis,s the side effects of drugs is due to the multiplicity of the same type of receptors in many organs. The most sensitive receptor is of course the target of the drug, but all other

receptors produce a response except this is less than that of the main

receptor and these are "side effects".  If a herb extract also [email]conta@#antidote[/email]ins the "antidote", whatever that is, what does this have, to do with the side effects?

The only problem with herbs is the undefined quantity of a dose for

a specific ailment, because  the dose is not standardized, like in the case of a drug. For instance, how much willow tree bark do you have to ingest if you have a headache? Compare this with a dose of aspirin which used ot be made out of willow tree bark (these days it is synthesized chemically).. How much licorice root did you take to clear up  your pancreasitis? A handful? A bunch? A teaspoonful? By the way, natural licorice can also be a dangeorus poison if overdosed. Incidentally, has anyone ever searched for or determined the real cause of your pancreasitis and gastritis? in other words, you take herbs of an undetermined portion to cure an unknown condition only on the basis of symptoms present?

if this is the right way, then let us abandon all medical tests and modern

medicines and go back to so-called ancient remedies because they "always work well" for centuries.

A lot of herbs are used in designing modern drugs, but ultimately they end up in standardized doses and are permitted to be used only by prescription of a licensed medical practitioner, after he conducted tests to determine the cause of the ailment and the appropriateness and correct dose of the drug.

Do you wish to abandon this method?

• Posted

Like drugs some herbs may cause certain symptoms in certain people because herbs contain potent constituents. But herbs generally contain the antidote to these constituents, which is why animals and humans are usually ok with them.

I've used many herbs over the years and I take them in small amounts, as medical herbalists recommend to do. You don't need a lot at all. When I used to get pancreatitis or gastritus I'd suck on a liquorice juice stick for a few minutes and do that 2 or 3 times a day and within a day or two the problem would go. I've never had any harmful effects from it or any herb I've used.

• Posted

My gastritits was to Helicobacter pylori i took antibiotics had an endoscopy after that witch showed mild chronic gastritis and no longer HP.

Been like 4 month now and still have pain under my left ribb am on esomeprazole 20mg twice a day and i also take liquorice! I keep a strict diet but my food digestion is pretty bad thats why am asking about the digestive enzymes. 

• Posted

Before using digestive nezymes, it would be a good idea to test your own "natural enzymes". Did you investigate the mutual effects of licorice

and omeprazol?

• Posted

I've had bad digestive problems for years noam! I was told by a consultant that I couldn't digest fats very well; I had almost constant diarrhea, and pancreatitis and gastritis every now and then with which I had to be hospitalised several times. I started using liquorice juice sticks every time I got symptoms and I haven't had to go back in hospital since.

It's so improved now that I'm on a low carb, high fat diet and I'm doing great. I have ginger tea to keep diarrhea away. I've never used esomeprazole but I've pretty much healed my digestive system with good diet and herbs.

I'm still using slippery elm bark and aloe vera juice for continued healing of my gut and I'm taking probiotics. Oh and I use psyllium husk powder to get rid of toxins and for good bowel movements. It's best to use that in small amounts at first to see how it goes and to drink plenty of filtered water.

It's been quite a long process of healing but it's so much better than it was! I feel like I just told you my life story! Lol

• Posted

How do you test your own natural enzymes Ian? I think mine must be pretty good now judging by the way I'm digesting foods, including fats, but I didn't know we could test them. That'd be a good thing to do. razz

• Posted

I do use digestive enzymes sometimes. I think they help prevent the "over full" feeling that I get sometimes since I have been taking PPIs. What did you read about it being bad?

• Posted

If u believe in alternative medicines especially bach flower remedies, the following combination can be tried. Mustard crab apple and cherryplum. Of course this is not a substitute for regular medication. It helps in emotional healing and the positive energy imprints of these flowers helps in addressing emotional imbalances and also the body's natural healing power is restored and in most cases this itself gives cure.do a google search. If u r skeptical about it then pl. Ignore

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.