Favorite Gizmo that makes living with Rheumatoid easier...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I love the large triangles you put the lamp switch through so my fumble fingers can turn the lamps on and off...just purchased three more of them...

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have motion detectors attached to all lights so they come on auto. 

Turn off auto. 👍

• Posted

Just curious how many others have neat little things that give

them that extra bit of help.I bought a wide mouth jar opener for

my husband since his hands are really effected.Very handy

• Posted

I have electric can openers, ring pull opener, jar opener all my

taps have been changed to lever type instead of screw.

I have a kettle cradle so I can tip without lifting it.

I have a long handled comb/ hair brush,

A helping hand for when I drop things which is a lot when my

hands are suffering. I have a bath seat which lowers me into

The bath, a perching stool for my kitchen.

That's all I can think of

• Posted

Jay Jay that's great,thanks for the items list.We have a reached

which gets used ha ha, it'z amazing how often things get dropped

I've never seen a kettle cradle,I will have to look that one up.

• Posted

Yes! me, too...but I can not operate it with the handle. I just push down and twist....oops, put the jar on a piece of silicon so that it can not move while you twist.
    • Posted

I also keep several different sized silicone mats to use to grip things...stuff just flys out if my hands and hits the floor before I even know I dropped it.
    • Posted

oh ok,that sounds like a good idea.I have osteoarthritis in hands

so it could work for us both.I will have to check out the kitchen

section at our local wally world biggrin

• Posted

My RA isn't severe, but I have a lot of neurological problems alongside it. Together, this means I have muscle weakness and poor co-ordination in my hands that makes precise movements really difficult. I can lift weights, but I struggle to control my hand to put a key in the door.

I know of gadgets that help you turn the key, which isn't such an issue for me, but nothing to actually help guide the key into the keyhole. Seems trivial but this is something I have to do several times a day and it's very frustrating. I'm only in my 30s and I never feel older than when I try to either open my front door or use a knife and fork properly.

So, if anyone knows of anything that would help with the key thing, please let me know! Otherwise I'll have to design something myself and go on Dragon's Den or something.

• Posted

There is a electric lockfor home doors like on car doors that can be installed for the home doors even have a clicker in the car next to the garage door opener clicker to open the door automatically from the car as I pull into the garage. 

See online many models or contact a lock smith company! Time's are a changing it's almost hard to keep up.

im wondering if there's a app on the iPhone tpo open doors ? 👍

• Posted

I also have myasthenia gravis...we key into wee hole does not work.

Purchased a Schlage combination lock dead bolt...easy to install...this way I just have large knob to turn.. and I can give out the code and then program the code to no longer work when I no linger want someone to have access...no more forgetting the key either.

Fork and knife...have you tried the ones that strap to your hands ...they are curved towards your mouth....I drink soup...I prepare foods with a cleaver which I find much easier to use than a knife....also get a silicone mat...nothing setting on it moves, all you have to do is keep it from tipping over.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.