irratating cough for five weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi I am writing on the off chance some one may be able to relate to my symptoms I have had  bronchitis for many years on and off and every year i also end up with a barking cough, this time it has lasted five weeks and i cant shift it I have been in hospital had steroids and anti biotics but for the last two weeks i am constantly bringing up phlegm/mucus and I think this is what is keeping the cough going the cold weather does affect me but this stuff i am constantly bringing up i feel is irritating the cough and making it worse has any one else gone through this please 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Do you, or have you ever smoked?

I smoked for 5 years in my 30s and got repeated bronchitis which evenaturally wouldn't clear with antibiotics.

As the weather gets colder, even now in my 60s I have to watch out because if I get a cold it turns into bronchitis within a week.

Also you may have cold air asthma. Have a check up with your practice nurse, who can do a breath flow test.

Mike.

• Posted

I have never smoked mike but I have had bronchitis for half of my life which has weakened my bronchial tubes over the years.I havent heard of cold air asthma I shall mention this and once the coughing stops i can have a spyromety test, do you continually bring up mucus/phlegm 
  • Posted

my grammy....have you anyone who can do the percussion on your back? It breaks up the phlegm and knocks it loose. This combined with the nebulizer would help her tremendously.

hugs

• Posted

yes but not this time its loose but a lot of it and yes i cannot understand why i wasnt given any nebs in hospital thank you for your reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.