Excercise - once again!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can anyone tell me how to turn of the "guilt" when I don't excercise?

I hurt!  If I walk for 20 minutes I'm fine - if I go over that (ie when shopping) I'm in agony - which often lasts a couple of days.

The doctors, rheumatologists, physiotherapists say "excercise,

excercise 

but stop if it hurts!!  If you've got PMR, OAa d Tendonitis

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry, pressed the wrong button (to correct spelling mistake)!!

............ it hurts all the time😡

Do others get guilty when they can't exercise?u

• Posted

I too feel guilty when I can't exercise.  Like you I can walk for a little while (10 minutes at the most) then I feel worn out and my knees are really painful.  I have a lovely GP but she just changes my painkillers all the time and none of them are that helpful.  If you find a solution let me know!

• Posted

If I could find a solution I would open a clinic and I am sure I would become a very rich woman.😀

Seasonal greetings to you.🍸🍾🌲

Constance

• Posted

Hi this seems to be there answer to everything but as you know it's not always possible. I take painkillers before I go out and also use a cane as me knee shakes and gives way normally I land in a heep on the floor. Sorry I can't really help x

• Posted

Hi Constance, I know how you feel.I feel better when I can

get even a mini work out in but that is very rare any more.

I can say that gentle stretches help and does soothe the guilty

feeling when you feel like you should be doing something.

Just a thought :0)

• Posted

this seems like good advice Tory stretching does seem to help a bit.
    • Posted

Yep it does,and that way when the Dr asks if your excercising

you can say you are wink

• Posted

Hi Constance, Don't you dare feel guilty. I hear what you are saying. Yes, exercise is good for us, but we have to know our limitations.It is so easy to say do this,do that. Yeah it's alright for them, they don't realise how much pain and discomfort we are in.I should be 40 kilos lighter. My BP, sugar levels and cholesterol are all with in normal range. So I think to myself " Okay why put more stress on myself with what I can and can't eat. And be a misery guts at the same time."I have osteo very badly in both knees.Yeah most likely because of my extra weight. I have had one knee replaced and with the other one I am having stem cell treatment.The stem cell treatment is working well. My doctor is very understanding and doesn't push me into doing things that aggrevate my knees. I only do what I can. Who wants to suffer for 3 days after doing exercise? I know I don't.  Have you tried warm water exercises or hydro? I go twice a week. I find it really good and I am not in as much pain after wards. Sometimes you just have to except things. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Jules.  

I have tried hydro therapy, but the course I was in was REALY hard work.  They mixed the 30s and the 70/80s in the same group.  It was 45 minutes once a week.  I was in pain after the first twenty minutes so, after 10 months, I gave up.  I went myself after that for a while, but getting there, undressing, packing stuff away, showering I was exhausted before I got into the pool!😏😏  Then it all had to start again to get dressed/go home!!

I was one of the very lucky ones who lost weight with PMR (12 kilos).  The only problem with that is sitting on hard surfaces is agony (no flesh)!

I have serious OA in hips, knees and ankles (among other things) so I'm in a bit of a mess.  

I don't feel sorry for myself, just frustrated - others are soooo much worse off.  I have had a very good life so I really shoildn't complain.

Seasonal greetings to you.  🍾🍸🌲. Regards fr Constance.

• Posted

I share your frustration, Constance, along with the feelings of guilt and shame about not exercising (and therefore feeling somehow that my arthritis is my "fault"wink. It's all very well to say "You have to exercise," but the people who are saying it are not in your body and don't feel the pain. In my case, I signed up for a tai chi class (for over 55s, so the teacher was aware of people's limitations), on the advice of a physiotherapist. I tried my best to protect my very arthritic right knee... and as a result Ihave now damaged my ankle -- so I am in more pain than ever. I feel a huge sense of despair -- it is so painful to walk, but I argue with myself every single day about walking  down to the centre of the village where we live and back (downhill and uphill). The total distance is only about a mile, but some days it is such a struggle. So I am always tempted to take the car -- which of course makes me feel very, very guilty. (Not just "lazy", but adding to my carbon footprint too!) I can't take NSAIDs or codeine because of stomach problems, so all I am left with is paracetamol, which helps the knee a little, but doesn't touch the ankle and foot pain. I would love to know how to get over the guilt and shame and find a way to be realistic about how much I can and can't do. It seems there are lots of us out here -- perhaps we can support each other. I hope you are doing well!  

• Posted

Hallo ronne.  I've come to the conclusion that feeling 'guilt' about anything is ridiculous (unless it is against the law)😏.  We all have our limitations, some can cope/ignore things, others try too hard (like us) to do the right thing all the time - which is an impossibility.  Life is too short, so away with the guilt!😀 - lets just enjoy life as it is.  We all have good days - so I appreciate those.  I forget rheumatologists, doctors, pills, excercise and DO WHATEVER I CAN - now without guilt.🍾🍸💥

• Posted

When you are walking around the house, you are exercising.

When you are stretching your body to loosen up, you are exercising.

Get a pedometer. Use it faithfully. You will be AMAZED at how much "exercise" you are getting!

🙌😁😊🙌😁😊🙌😁😊🙌😁😊🙌😁😊🙌

• Posted

Hi Chery.  Thanks for your thoughts.  I do try!  I have a pedometer and, of course, stretch as often as possible.  I always use the stairs from our appartment (not the lift) and walk round the atrium.  What gets me is this talk by rheunies, doctors, everyone in fact, who talk about excercise as always being a pleasure.  It isn't!  Not if you are in continual pain!😡

I am afraid "guilt" is one of my "things"!  My husband once said to me "you  are the only person I know who feels guilty about feeling guilty".  I THINK I know what he meant.😏😀

Seasonal greetings to you. 🌲🍾🍸. Regards from Constance

• Posted

I sure do know what you mean about exercise and pain! People who have no chronic pain don't understand how much effort it takes to just MAKE IT THROUGH THE DAY to do normal activities!

Sometimes I wish that it was possible to push a button to let a person experience what it feels like in my body. Words just can't seem to communicate the experience!

When we move more slowly or need a break or stop for awhile, we are just MAKING IT THROUGH OUR DAY the best we know how!

This forum has been SO HELPFUL to me because people here don't require any such "button" to understand the pain. They are already experiencing it.

Hang in there! Visit this forum often. Know that we "get it" and are in solidarity with you!😊

Wishing you and yours a HAPPY CHRISTMAS and a PAIN-FREE New Year!!🎄😊🎶🛀

• Posted

Last emoji!  How I wish I COULD relax in a hot, perfumed bath!  Our appartment is for 'senior citizens' and, of course, no aged person wants to wallow in a deap filled bath!!  Only showers here!  We should have been a bit more careful when we bought the flat, I naively thought I'd get used to using a shower only.  I haven't!

• Posted

Constance,we did the same thing when we bought our house.

Only 1 bathroom and is shower only sad I thought the same as

you did.Oh how I miss my tub for those soothing soaks....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.