Sertraline and insomnia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive suffered with depression for many years. I was on sertraline previously but changed to prozac and it was making me tired, then the side effects were horrible terrible anxiety needing the loo all the time etc so i came off it. A few months later the depression was no better i got insomnia so bad i went about 2 weeks without sleeping al all and developed a drink problem have have been off work since July. Ive successfully completed an alcohol detox last month, started feeling much better in myself although my body still recovering, depression had lifted a bit, i want to do stuff now seem a bit more focused etc. All my fsmily kept saying to me was get the alcohol sorted and then go to docs about depression as oviously the two dont mix. So went the other day put back on sertraline, took first one Friday night, didnt sleep at all groggy next day so decided to switch to a morning, so left saturday and took sunday morning and this morning. Im really struggling to sleep on a night, im tired but its like my mind wont shut down it strangley also makes me want to pee more so im up and down going to the loo and im scraping by on 4-5 hours sleep a night it it takes a while before i pull myself round on a morning. After my detox i was sleeping quite well! I just cannot cope with insomnia. Im on half pay now i need to get back to work soon and havent got the time or money to mess around changing meds. Can any one give me some advice is this likely to pass? How long should i give it? as other than that after detox i was doing so much better. Please help! Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Your GP should be able to confirm that the medication you take can cause tirdness through the day. Confirm with your GP that you could take your medication half an hour before bed, this could help you sleep.

I take Citalopram before bed and I wake up well in the morning, although with my Cronic Disability I am unable to get around until mid morning because of Pain and Stiffness.

Worth a try

BOB

• Posted

I did take first dose on a night it kept me awake even more and I was really groggy next day. Think this side effect common on ssri tablets. Can't even nap during the day! Think I might ring doctors in the morning. Thanks for responding

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

good for you with the drinking. 

I know that when I took these meds I too had insomnia (not like me, I usually struggle to stay awake) but two weeks straight is not sustainable and no wonder you're distressed. 

I know the antidepressant almost guaranteed to help you sleep is mirtazpine. I've heard it's a pretty good ad, but also drives appetite up, so can be a bit tricky. But if you need to put weight on and sleep, this is one the doctor will probably tell you about x

• Posted

I'm going to ring the gp tomorrow I know they say give it time but I can't carry on with no sleep plus thing it's aggravating my ibs. Feel a bit wired! After my detox I was worried about not sleeping but had managed to get into a reasonable sleeping pattern. My mood had lifted was starting to feel like the old me. Just feel like these have set me back I'm tired and wired at the same time and not doing as much as was before. Mirt possibly but don't fancy a huge weight gain. See what doc says. Thanks for responding

• Posted

Yes these medications put on weight for us and it is a real problem, let us know if He has any ideas

BOB

• Posted

Well docs said give them a bit longer but still not sleeping. Mind feels on overdrive. Took a sleeping tablet last night that didn't do much but got some sleep. Today feel unnaturally awake so know I won't sleep! Not sleeping worsens my depression and lead me to drink in the first place! Feel a bit more focused but that's it. 2 week review next thurs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.