Chronic Testicular Pain after Varicocelectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all!

This is my first post. Hoping to gather some wisdom from everyone.

In 2008, I was 21 -- I was riding a bicycle daily. One day I got into an accident where I flew over the handlebars and onto the ground. I'm assuming this is the start of my on-going problem. Not sure, this is my guess. (Damage to pereneium?)

Weeks later, I was diagnosed with a varicoclele in my left testicle. It was a small one, but painful enough to create lots of issues. Chronic pain and swelling in the left testicle.

Due to finances, I was unable to get surgery for several years. In 2013, I finally had insurance. I went with the embolization, but they were unable to finish halfway through the procedure. It turned out that my anatomy down there was unnatural.

When I was a baby, I had a hernia operation, so I am assuming this was the end result -- my nerves down there were coiled up and it was impossible for them to guide the cathetar toward where it needed to go.

Eventually I had actual surgery. I can't recall the name of it, but they cut into my abodem on the left side, about a 4 inch incision above the groin, at the base of my abdomen. It was the kind of surgery that would increase the elimination of varicoceles.

Now -- I still have testiular pain. I went in for two ultrasounds since this surgery and everyone says everything looks fine. There are no varicoeles remaining.

The pain I have today is not as bad as it use to be. But it is a daily, chronic pain that I can't seem to kick. It flares up more when I sit. I work a sedentary job, so it becomes extremely frutrating when I work long hours. Sitting on hard surfaces also increases the pain. Even when not sitting, there is always a dull ache. It nevery full goes away, just eases up.

This is very demoralizing, I just want to live a life without pain. I have depression over this and my sex life is deeply affected. (I can't ever have sex without pain.) The reason I am posting on here;

With everything mentioned:

Does this sound like pevlic floor issues? Nerve damage after surgery? I truly don't know what kind of doctor to pursue and I am not willing to see a 5th urologist only to have them turn me away.

Things I have tried:

Pain pills -- these don't eiminate the pain and I refused to take tylenol daily just to take the edge off of this kind of pain. I haven't tried Lyrica, but I don't want to depend on expensive perscreptions for the rest of my life if there is another solution out there.

Looser clothing -- changed wardrobe and pant fits to alleviate any stress.

Nerve block -- didn't affect the pain at all

Diet change -- it does seem like the pain slightly alleviates when I have smoother bowel movements, which makes me suspicious this is an issue with the muscles down there. (Can varicoceles be caused by muscular issues down there?)

A urologist recomnded de-nervation of the spermadic cord -- but I am weary of getting another surgery, especially if the nerve block didn't really do anything.

My guess is I have something wrong with the pelvic floor.

I'm so overwhemlmed with spending so much money and not finding resolution. I am wondering what the best kind of doctor is to go to at this point? Is there a doctor who would be able to eliminate the list of causes this will be? It's very frustrating when doctors tell you there's nothing wrong with you....  I am in the Los Angeles area, seeking some answers... 

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your pain. It is a daily battle that you can't let control your mental state, no matter what. Every doctor has a different trick up their sleeves, and sometimes it can be the approach that changes the entire outcome. 

I have complained to my doctors for a long time about testicular pain. They never truly knew how to deal with it.

But I was mispercieving it as that, when it was actually a very tight and dysfunctional pelvic floor referring pain to that area. 

This is where our conditions may differ; I also have occasional back pain (though I've always denied it), and now have developed awful groin, hip, and leg pain, but it wasn't like that before when it was predominantly testicular pain. 

According to my most recent doctor visit (a new one that specializes in pain management), I was told I most likely have Lumbosacral radiculitis (sciatica) and Sacroiliac joint dysfunction, which can apparently cause a mess of issues in these areas. I was referred to physical therapy focusing on these points.

It's easy to focus on where the pain is, but fog out its surrounding points. There can be weak and dysfunctional muscles, pinched nerve roots, and daily habits that all can ruin this core area of our bodies.

Moral of my story: look into deep muscular tissues and nerves that pass through that area, and try to observe all surrounding conditions of your body that may have a connection to your pelvis. I may be wrong, it could be straight up in your testicles, but from my experiences, its easy to be fooled. 

• Posted

I also had left testicular pain since last 16 months. Had two varicocele surgeries but still pain didnt go away . Finally found Dr A. Lee Dellon from Baltimore.

I visited him and he said he can help me. Recently

did surgery Genitofemoral neurectomy, means removing Genito femoral nerve. He said duriing surgery he found my genitofemoral nerve was trapped in scar tissues, probably from previous Varicocle surgeries.That was causing pain. I would suggest you to see this possibility of trying to resolve your testicular pain problem. Please dont do spermatic cord denervation.

• Posted

Thank you so much. Was he a urologist?

I am wondering what tests I could have done to determine whether or not I have a nerve entrapped by scar tissue. Did he do any tests on you or was it exploratory surgery?

Thank you so much,

Sam

• Posted

No he is a neuro surgeon and plastic surgeon.

Its not necessary ur nerve might hav been entrapped ,anythng might have happnd to ur nerves and not necessarily on genitofemoral nerve. For diagnosis its very difficult but wht i did was get nerve block on the place on vertebraes Dr Dellon said . Not thru stomach.

If u get pain releif for even for few hrs , it means u hav problem with certain nerve n we hav to remove it. Google abt this doctor and read his articles , and if u dont get pain relief frm any other place then at least visit him once i wud say tht.

• Posted

Another thing Sam regarding hip and leg pain, which also happnd to me. Actually wht happnd was becoz of too much pain while sitting in normal position i started changing my sitting style, mostly sitting inclined on my hip which started my hip pain too.
  • Posted

dude. I had a Varicocelectomy and it resulted in excruciating pain after. my ultrasound checked good and after several visits to the urologist basically just made fun of me and brushed it off. the pain was so bad that a slow gentle walk would hurt. never mind any kind of exercise. even driving over a pothole would hurt. sitting down bothered it more and especially on hard surfaces. I have an active job where I move I all sorts of positions and my phone says I average 10,000 steps a day. I decided that maybe it was a nerve thing. so even though my back didn't hurt, I went to a chiropractor. the day after the visit my pain was almost gone and it would flare up and go away randomly throughout the day. after 2 or three more visits I was 95% ever since then I make it a point to XC mountain bike once a week and it keeps me limber and loose. if I skip that activity or forgo any exercise the pain creeps back. long distance running and other excercises are ok but if that's all I do it doesn't move/ jostle my core enough. it makes me angry that I didn't have any such pain before my surgery but now its something that I need to keep a check on.

I just noticed that the pain you described sounds very close to what I experienced. I hope this helps people out.

• Posted

I am kinda in the same boat now and I was wondering if you managed to reach a solution so far and if your pain has eased since the last time you posted! wishing you all the best mate

• Posted

Did anyone find answers on this? I also have this issue its been 3 months since the procedure and I have this pain/tenderness that the urologist has not been able to explain. Generally don't feel any pain when I'm going about my day. But testicles are very tender to touch, and any running/jumping causes pain 😦

• Posted

It could be infection, pain killers usually alleviate pain when its not an infection. This is something you need to address before it gets worse. You could try massaging the area often. It that doesnt work it could be infection of the prostate. You may need antibiotics but speak to your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.