Advise again please

Posted , 2 users are following.

my most recent blood tests show that despite me stopping all thyroid medication my live function tests are showing my liver is still struggling when I was on medication my AST was 37 (7-36) ALT was 43 (7-35) and my GGT was 53 (7-36) since stopping for 2 weeks the readings are now AST 36, ALT 46 and GGT 76.

my thyroid is also rising but I expected that.  I have just started taking L carnitine.  My dr thinks my liver tests are fine.

i am hot all the time, we live in Beijing and it's currently -8 but I'm sitting outside.  I cannot walk more than 10 steps without getting out of breath I feel Like I'm 100.  I felt this bad on the medication too.  I don't know what to do.  I am at the Mersey of my Chinese dr who speaks English but I'm not sure she is understanding me properly.

does anyone else have abnormal liver tests?  Can anyone offer any advice please? 

Many thanks, Ruth

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Spaggy, I know exactly how you feel, I used to stand outside in the freezing cold to cool down a bit. Just breathing in the chilly air used to provide some relief from the feeling that I am burning up internally. 

Like I mentioned in your previous post:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/advice-please-thyroid-lvwering-but-liver-not-happy-549019

The abnormal liver values are due to your hyperthyroidism.  You are overtly hyperthyroid and need thyroid lower measures urgently.

• Posted

I meant: thyroid lowering measures urgently. 

• Posted

Hi Spaggy, I was wondering if your thyroid and liver values have normalised. Would be great to hear how your treatment went and if you are feeling better in the meantime.
    • Posted

Hi Dan

unfortunately I am off all medication at the moment as my acute intermittent porphyria does not like the drugs.  My liver function has returned to normal but my thyroid levels are still 32.59 highest should be 22 for my ft4 and my ft 3 is 12.38 should be less than 6 my t3 is starting to rise at 3.54 highest should be 3.10

the Drs are trying to work out what to do.  If they remove my thyroid and I can't tolerate the medication I would after to take them I'm also stuffed.

my palpitations are scary as is my breathlessness but apart from that I feel ok ish.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that your thyroid is not ok. It is a difficult situation since most medications are processed someway or the other by the liver. 

You could consider taking the supplement L-Carnitine (with clearance of your doctors). While it is not lowering the thyroid output, L-Carnitine it is used as a peripheral antagonist of thyroxine and can help alleviate some damaging effects of hyperthyroidism (mostly damage to the muscles and the heart).

Hope your doctors come up with a solution that works for you long term.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.