Is this Herpes? (Picture Included)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, 

I received unprotected oral sex about 17 days ago. I went in for an exam on the 10th day of exposure: negative for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, RNA (HIV), and Herpes both HSV1 and HSV2 (too soon for new infection). I plan on testing around four weeks from exposure to ease my nerves and then again at eight weeks to confirm diagnose.  

Recently I've had pain/discomfort in my right groin area (lymph nodes), testicular discomfort, and slight pain on tip of my penis (no discharge at this point). 

Yesterday, I've noticed a small bump near my urethra (lower left side in the pictures). It isn't painful to touch, it hasn't bubbled up, and I've had no flu-like symptoms. 

I've been going crazy these past 17 days and although I am not looking for diagnose (I know I need to see a professional and will). I am just looking for some kind inclination of whether or not this is something to be concerned about. So my questions are: 

1. Does this look like a mild herpes outbreak? 

2. Does this look like herpes at all? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It seems you are a tad anxious about this whole encounter. Normally, there'd be no need to test for half, if not all, the things you tested for without having any actual symptoms! Receiving unprotected oral is a risk, but a low one for STDs generally.

• Posted

I appreciate the response, normally - I would have been ok with everything except the pain/discomfort in my right groin area (lymph nodes), testicular discomfort, and slight pain on tip of my penis. 

With that little bump (now day three) showing - I am kind of freaked and was looking to see if this was something to overly concerned. 

• Posted

I suspect you are fine. The symptoms you mention are rather generic and appeared later than you would normally expect, plus they are very mild if this were a first outbreak of HSV1. Rather than waste time and money with multiple IgG tests, you should just get it swabbed for herpes asap if you are that worried. Much more direct test than IgG, and if you can request a pcr swab, even better.
    • Posted

Will the swab test work this early on and without having it bubble up and become an open sore?
    • Posted

A pcr swab should still work, as it is very sensitive and looks for viral dna. The more common viral culture swab, I'm less sure about, but you could always have the doctor rub the swab bud vigorously over the bump or even break it open a little, if he/she thinks that's best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.