Serious Insomnia for first time in life - Help please

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone.  I am requesting some serious advice/help for my insomnia issue that has been going on for way too long now.  I am a 32 year old otherwise healthy male living in New York.  This has hands down been the most devastating/frustrating thing that has ever happened to me.

In mid September, nearly three months ago I had a very stressful series of events take place at work which lead to me beginning to wake up well before my alarm clock everyday.  At the time I didn't really think about it, but the anxiety over work was likely causing this to happen.  I would go to work exhausted day in and day out for weeks.  Finally after three weeks or so, I decided to replace my old beat up mattress with a new one thinking THAT was more of the problem.  Again, the work thing I knew was possibly part of the issue, but maybe not the whole issue.

Ironically, just one week after I got my new mattress (which feels fine might I add) i began having more SERIOUS problems where i was now waking up in the middle of the night.  This has now CONTINUED to the current day, short of maybe 7-8 days total.  Like clockwork, sometimes 2-3 or 4am, i wake up in the middle of the night.  Am I still stressed about work?  Yes I am, but not to the point in my opinion where this should still be happening.  I am a zombie everyday, and this has affecting my performance at work.  This has gotten so terrible that I am considering taking time off from work if it doesn't resolve very soon.

I finally went to a sleep doctor last week who after a 30 minute conversation says he believes that the work incident triggered "situational insonmnia" and he believes without a shadow of a doubt that it will go away soon, as it usually lasts "up to three months".  Doctor or not its just hard to beleive him.  Every single solitary night I go in bed calm, thinking this will be the night where things begin to get better, and EVERY single night, there i am, up in the middle of the night.  It should be noted that i typically fall back asleep, but there have been some horrific nights where i haven't.  How I made it through work those few time I'll never know.

I am not on any medications, sleep in a quiet/dark room, and have troubleshot every possible thing to figure out whats wrong.  I even quit coffee over a month ago now thinking that was maybe the cause but it wasn't.  I have not been able to enjoy life for the last few months and am afraid this may become an even more serious problem for me in my life than I think.  All the lack of good sleep is even starting to catch up to me in deeper ways as recently I have even forgotten things here and there and have even developed a slight stutter when in conversation at times.  I have no doubt this is because of the fatigue but it could always be a crazy coincidence.

Either way I need some serious help and advice and anything is much appreciated.  What does everyone think happened to me?  This is all just surreal to me at this stage.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Try not to stress about your insomnia and I know this is easier said then done. When you start changing things in your life around Sleep it will only make things worse maybe wind down a little before going to bed each night and keep a dark cool room. Stay away from too much tv or blue screens close to bed and when you get up in the middle of the night know that your still resting even if your awake early. Try to take some of the stress out of your life as this is probably your root cause of the insomnia.
  • Posted

Without external factors like medication side effects, stimulants or non related illness your sleep should go back to normal in a while. Our body adapts to stressors-work , health or family related and we stop reacting to them as much with time. Your early waking might be cortisol related, your adrenals might have gotten somehow exhausted due to work stress. Some people benefit from drinking warm, salty water upon waking up, this helps the adrenals recover. Check your blood pressure to make sure it is not elevated before doing it. Sometimes elevated blood pressure make people lose sleep, in this instance salt is not recommended. 
  • Posted

Similar thing happened to me where I was waking early and at the same time every morning around 1am. Was stress and anxiety and eventually went away.

I think in time yours will go away as well. It wasn't easy at the time and I thought it would never end but this mind set didn't help. I still don't sleep well though, I've had sleep problems for 2 years now but Jane been told it's through stress and anxiety

• Posted

Hi Michael.

I totally understand what you are going through. Insomnia affects all aspects of your life, and the more you stress the worse it becomes. I've tried all the sleeping pills, perscription & herbal and came to a dead end. Try two supplements... Magensium, I take Magnesium Citrate, I buy it from the pharmacy.. It's called Mag Citra.  Magnesium lowers Cortisol, the stress hormone that can keep you awake at night. Look up all the benefits of Magnesium, it's amazing, it helps with the production of Serotonin/Melatonin etc. I hope this helps, it certainly helped me :-).

The other is called L Theanine, again natural, if I need that little comfort factor in the night, I know I can take even during the night to ease the mind and it doesn't cause drowsiness.

Overall Magensium has been the little gem for me.

• Posted

It is important you do not make your sleep a chore, also you need to stop dwelling on your problems when you try and sleep, in other words you nead to switch of before you go to bed. 

You have been to Sleep Clinic and they have explained your concern will pass so it is important you trust His attitude towards you and move on with their recommendations.

If you feel your concerns are not sorting you need again to see your GP and He may be able to help

You can try Relaxation Techniques, Mindfulness and books are available that explain how this program works.

You could also try Breathing Exersises and the technique can be explained on the Internet.

Be kind to yourself and try and take your mind of your Anxiety, you must move on and try and help yourself.

We are here to help

BOB

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your kind words.  As hard as it is for me to believe, I do think it is in fact anxiety and something mental.  It just fascinates me how this has gone on so long, and how every night like clockwork I wake up.  You would thing it was something physical.

But it is true all i've been doing the last two months is stressing about it, reading anything I can about it, buying white noise machines, buying sleepy tea, buying melatonin pills, calling off from work because of it, and talking to anyone I could about it.  Now I am finally going to try and forget about it as much as I can although that is of course easier said than done.  

I guess it just upsets me knowing how I may be prone to something mental.  

• Posted

Our body has a good ability to make up lost sleep. You wil sleep if you allow yurself. You may nap in the evening etc. Magnesium supplements are a great idea, it helps with obsessive thinking. Also, sleeping with somebody works great wink

• Posted

I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to forget that it's an actual problem and just deal with it. I know it's hard man. I'm here if you need someone to chat too. 

• Posted

Well unfortunately I don't have a girlfriend right now and as far as the magnesium pills go I am really unsure.  I have read that it might not be a great thing to take those kinds of pills unless you truly need them.  Could be side effects.

• Posted

You are very right to be hesitant with any supplementation, but if it was me I would rather go with magnesium than melatonine. I have never had any positive results with melatonine myself, but many side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.