Will this do me harm?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I fell down the stairs 4 days ago, went hospital today confirmed fractured coccyx. Anyway tonight the pain is unbearable and I'm unable to sleep so I took two co-codamol (30/500) and two ibuprofen (200mg) that was 2 hours ago, pain still unbearable so I just took another 4 of each, is that going to cause me harm? I'm going to sleep now as it has made me feel tired finally even though the pain is still there but just hoping I haven't took too many that it might do harm? Didn't think much of it when I swallowed them just wanted the pain to go away but now I'm worried! Any advice will be appreciated x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danc, Personally i would not recommend taking so much in one go. Your best option is to take one of each tab and you can do this every 2 hours. That way you have a standard pain killer along with an anti-inflammatory working together. This is the best way to combat pain. I use to work in a pharmacy a picked up this little tip and it works wonders i always use it and you are not over doing it on either pain medication at the end of the day.

It would have been the amount of codeine that made you sleeep they are a god send but they are discuised as the devil lol. I would not worry too much its done now but best try and stick to recommended daily intake in future, it really is hit and miss as i know i can take more paracetamol in one day but that dont mean to say it would be safe for you to.

• Posted

Hi Danc, sorry to read about your accident, we really are a fragile species when all said and done, anyway I digress as usual, in answer to your question, yes, you will be ok however, do not take anything containing paracetamol again for 24hrs, no more than 8 in that period, and do not take any codeine containing drug for longer than 3 days...

I hope this helps and that you feel better very soon.

• Posted

No, Danc88, I shouldn't be overly concerned. I am in no way qualified medically, but it would be extremely unlikely that you will suffer medically. Yes, it is technically an overdose; but by 1g of paracetomol and 400mg ibuprofen. Many people on this forum are taking insane amounts; some of whom are daily taking upwards of 32 N+ per day. I'm one of those until after a binge of 64, my Dr ordered me to hospital immediately: vials of blood and 5 hours later, I was given the ok. I must stress that I am extremely lucky and am on a medically supervised replacement program that gradually reduces. Over the counter medications containing codeine are readily available - 10's of thousands of 'normal, respectable people', who you wouldn't think in a million years would be a drug addict, are drug addicts; it's just that their minds prohibit any association with their interpretation of a drug addict as being a homeless tramp, that is why to many, it is referred to as their "dirty little secret".

I started on about 6N+, daily, as the codeine content, per pill (12.8mg), because the sense of calm that opiates produce stopped me thinking about or drinking alcohol. I still don't drink, but got up to 32N+ per day, for 3 years - after a heart attack. Of course it is stupid and insane and it's a wonder I'm still alive, but the power of addiction in codeine is immensely strong

I would say judging by what you said, that at the moment, you do not have a codeine addiction. You don't want one. But for anyone reading this, there are 3 options to stop. 1. Cold Turkey - codeine free after approx 10 days - but it is a very tough road. Reams have been written on this subject so I won't repeat them. I'm not strong enough for that. 2. Medically supervised codeine pills that you reduce over time. I Know no-one for who this has worked. 3. Buprenorphine - a special type of opiate that blocks all other opiates. You feel like it's a psycholgical strap holding you together and takes any thoughts away from your addiction. It is medically supervised and it is reduced over time. 

To conclude, I hope I've addressed your concern adequately, but if you're really worried, go and see your doc.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.