About to start taking escitalopram, how to deal with side effects?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am about to start with my escitalopram to treat my anxiety disorder. It is so ironic that I am going to take the medication because of my anxiety, yet it is my anxiety that is keeping me from taking it. I have been reading about the possible side effects of the drug and have become so anxious about what might happen in the first few weeks. But rather than getting obsessed over the things that haven't even happened yet, I decided to become more proactive instead so I'd be better prepared if the time comes that side effects would really kick in. I would like to get tips on how to manage these side effects instead. What do you guys do when you've become too lethargic? I am generally a cheerful person despite my anxiety disorder. And I really worry that I might become very irritable. I also worry about the headaches and nausea. Are they really bad?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I started taking Escitolapram last Tuesday and my side effects were hard to deal with for the first 4 days, it generally didn't last all day and by late afternoon/evening I'd feel better and would be able to have something small to eat.  I was really surprised that by the weekend I was starting to feel brighter and a bit more calmer which lasted all day. Since then I have picked up and feel so much better, not quite there yet but I'm getting there.

I am new (only day 9) to all this but I would say give them a try. My experience may be completely different to yours and you may not have any or very few side effects. Everyone is different and there body deals with it differently. Have you spoken with your dr about how concerned you are with the side effects?

I'm not sure whether this has helped or not but I'm more than happy to chat if you want to.

Best wishes

Claire x

• Posted

Hi, Claire! Thanks a lot. It sure helped me feel more at ease. I've read several success stories and those made me feel good. However, even if there are a lot of positives, I still got scared of the negatives that might come with it. I mustered as much courage to finally drink that first pill. After that, the anxiety was gone. So I guess my anxiety was really just in making the first step. I haven't experienced any major side effects except from just feeling a little dizzy at times, but I'm uncertain as to whether that is even attributable to the medicine.

I hope that your side effects will subside soon and that you will continue to have brighter days ahead. smile

Again, thank you for your kind words. You're wonderful. Hoping for the best for you. smile

• Posted

I've been on escitalopram for a couple of years and didn't have any side effects at all.  Talk to your doctor, but you might be the same with no side effects.  It's helped me a lot and was well worth trying it out. 

• Posted

Thank you so much. I didn't talk to my doctor about my concerns because I wasn't as anxious during our last session. I only started becoming anxious after reading up and finding out how bad some people have had it. But you're right, it's different for everyone. I too haven't experienced any side effects so far except for feeling a little dizzy at times. I think if I wasn't aware of the side effects, I wouldn't have even noticed that it might be because of the escitalopram. I am hoping that I will continue to have no side effects especially after I increase the dosage in a few days.

Thank you again for the encouragement. Hoping also for your recovery. smile

• Posted

I cant recommend this drug highly enough for anxiety, if you are suffering badly with anxiety like I did it will be a God send for you. I understand how you are feeling about starting it I was exactly the same way but honestly it was the best thing I did for my anxiety and the side affects were only the same as the problem you already have only its easier to deal with when you know your helping yourself. I take 15mg of this now I started on 5 for a month then 10 for 2 months and now I'm on 15mg, it has worked on my depression up to a point but for anxiety it has cured it almost straight away within a week and haven't had any since, hope I've helped I bit get well soon

• Posted

It's comforting to find out that I'm not the only one who has felt this way about starting the medicine. Though I don't wish for other people to feel this way too, because the fear can really be paralyzing. sad

So far, I've been on the medicine for only two days and no major side effects yet. I don't feel too anxious anymore about the side effects. I was worried the most about the really bad headaches that some experience. But after some time, I just told myself that if it really gets to that point, I should just endure it. I have witnessed my mom deal with chronic migraines that get her to the ER often. So I thought it will be a way for me to share in her pain if it really happens.

It's great to hear that your anxiety at least has been addressed already by the medicine. I will hope and pray that your depression will be completely healed soon as well. Good luck with everything and get well soon too.

• Posted

I was on prozac for ptsd and servere anxiety it didn't work. I'm now on lexipro. 3 weeks on 10mg and 3weeks on 20mg. Some days are bareable some days have been almost normal but I always get 3 or 4 days where I'm scared all day with anxiety today is is filled with panic and fear. I'm constantly lightheaded and it makes me fear a brain tumour. I've been off work 6 month and need to get back. I'm scared this won't work!!!! I have 2 small children and make myself take them to the park or pools and beach even tho I'm in complete fear of nothing there. I can't drive far I'm scared I'll have a fit or faint while driving (never have had it happen) I always have to be with ppl when i go to the shops or out in public as I have a fear I'll pass out or die and my kids will be alone. What's happening to me? I've been through a rough time with my ex the past 6 years and he was arrested and placed into jail 10 months ago for dv. I should be feeling better now his gone not worse. Will lexipro kick in? After all this time I thought it already would have im scared to death I'll have to try another med,

• Posted

I am aboit to start this medicine too for my ocd intrusive thots and anxiety .. i hope i domtbget any side effects .. i hope we all feel better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.