PAC's/PVC's plus dental treatment. Need some advice.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all.

I am due for dental work. I need 2 upper wisdom teeth removing and possibly 2 other teeth. A total of 4 for sure. I realise that leaving these in could develop into a nasty infection.

Anyway I have have PACs/PVCs. Never been diagnosed with afib, but have been told by docs I'll have these for life. Nothing more was said on the subject 15 years ago and here I am today with PACs/PVCs. Still alive.

My problem is these things strike worse when I'm anxious. Certain positions make me more vulnrable to getting them and lying down is one of those positions. It can range from a flutter, to a bang in the chest and a pause and then a horrible sensation of blood traveling through my body. Had thousands of these over the years.

What I don't want is this to happen in the dentist chair. If I have one I will freak out. Especially being numb on both sides of my mouth! And I know that the numb feeling is going to increase anxiety and make PACs/PVCs guaranteed.

What meds can I take to ensure they don't happen? I was thinking of Lorazepam. But I'm no doctor and just want to make sure my dental visit goes hassle free. I would literally jump out of the dentist chair and run if I had PAC's/PVC's whilst being worked on.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Take a Valium. I just had 2 fillings put in last week. I was nervous as well. Doc gave me Valium and I took half a 5mg tablet an hour before the appointment. I was so relaxed during the whole thing. Could of sat there for a couple of hours.
  • Posted

I recently had a couple of route canals done. The first time I went, I asked for gas. That really helped me relax. Second time I just took Xanax. I have very bad anxiety and my PVC's & PAC's sometimes last all day long. But, I did fine at the dentist. You will too!

• Posted

Make your dentist aware of your condition and fears. Dentist can give you intravenous sedation or could refer you to the maxilla facial unit at a hospital. I have permanent AF and a pacemaker and had my first dental work done since then last week. I am also taking Warfarin. While always nervous prior to going I am fine once I'm in the chair. My treatment took about an hour and at times I was having to suppress chuckles at the Michael Palin video showing on the big screen on the wall.

He should avoid any injections with adrenalin.

• Posted

Your query has really been answered but basically I concur with what has been said.  The first step is to discuss with your dentist but it also sounds like you could do with an 'emergency' plan for such situations so that you have a copign stragegy for any other procedure in future whatever it might be ie dental or medical.      It's one I feel I need to sort out myself having had AF for 5 years.    The longer it goes on whilst I am calm in AF the more stressed out I seem to get in body thinking about procedures.     Valium is not something I have ever needed or thought to have but I am beginnign to wonder myself if it will help me sometimes (or similar)     When in A&E the other day to settle an AF which had gone on too long after taking a 'pop a pill' although it had settled they offered me valium and I looked at the doctor amazed because I was perfectly calm .....  but it has made me consider whether it would be helpful for those times when your body is giving out a stress re-action.     Agree best to have non adrenaline injections.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.