White blood cell count-high

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi my mum had a back injury around 6 years ago she was prescribed tramadol she also suffers with depression. Around 4 years ago she admitted she had a problem and had been over taking them she has only stopped taking them 4 months ago. She is now constantly Ill with virus like symptoms, sweating and her white blood cell count is always high. She has had various tests to see what is causing the high white cell count but doctors always come to a dead end. Could this be long term effects of over using tramadol?.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jade

Sorry to hear about the problem. I cannot say for certain about the white blood cell count. Coming off Tramadol can cause flu like symptoms, not sure for how long. Depression can be caused as Tramadol does cause people th feel good, so when you stop I would think it is the opposte effect. A lot of people are on anti deprssants after Tramadol. I have been off the stuff for 23 days now, feeling a lot better, but still get nausea & sneezing. Other than that I seem to be OK. I took Tramadol for about 5 years and trust me there are a lot of side effects. Other people are not so lucky when coming off. Read the threads & you will see where I am coming from.

All the best

• Posted

Hi Jade, I'm sure you're very concerned about your mum. You may know that a high count of white blood cells means the body is fighting infection. One of my sons had this and was suffering endless colds & sore throats, which took ages to clear up. Doctors were baffled as they could find nothing wrong. He's never take Tramadol in his life. I can only think that the pain of your mum's injury and the long term Tramadol intake may have weakened your mum's resistance. If it's any consolation my son is fine now. I sincerely hope your mum will be OK too. She should tell the docs how many tabs she was taking. 4 months clear, one would think she'd be alright now. It may be nothing to do with them. Hope she's back to her old self soon..

• Posted

I have not heard about it effecting white cell counts before-but I guess there's still a lot unknown! I had been taking Tramadol for nine years but have recently weaned myself off them because I have now been dignosed with epilepsy-which the dr thinks is probably due to Tramadol as it lowers seizure thresholds! I would expect your Mum to be ill after coming off Tramadol initially as her body would be craving it after such a long period of taking the tablets. When I say ill, hell would be a better way of discribing what I went through!!! I hope you and your Mum get some answers soon and that she starts to feel better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.