1 week after adhesive capsular release and mua!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am 1 week past capsular release and mua surgery! My dr said he got full rom when I was under and told my husband after surgery it was basically my job to keep it! So I have been working so hard I went to pt 2 hours after getting released! I do pt everyday and work out 6 times a day on my own doing stretches! I do not have full rom my external is still poor and can get my hand almost all the way up while lying down but not quiet to the floor? Does this seem right and something that just takes time! Or should I be worried?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I went through this last September but also have Fibromyalgia. I also got manipulated under general anaesthetic as I had had frozen shoulder for 4 years before . I took me a year and I thought I would never see things improving bit it does get better day by day. I had ultrasound treatment yesterday as someone ran into my car a week ago and both me and my son have whiplash as well. Best of luck in your speedy recovery
  • Posted

Hi Alison...I had full Rom after surgery with nerve block...7 weeks on I'm not touching the floor when I am on the floor and arm overhead and back...yr progress sounds good. My behind the back is not good....physio said she was going to work on it next time...ouch...I was flexible before doing yoga,pilates and swimming. ..I am having acupuncture. Ive had three sessions. .I think it's working. I've tried a tiny bit of swimming but I had pain for day!...keep going...

• Posted

Hi Alison

I too had capsular release & MUA, about 10 weeks ago now.  I just let it recover for the first week, with just gentle home exercises.  After that I started regular PT sessions (once a week), and was recommended to do some more aggresive home exercises 6 times a day, although I rarely managed more than 4 or 5.  However, my PT seems pleased with my progress; ROM has definately improved (although lifting my hand up my back is taill impossible) and pain is a lot less.  At last I can sleep through the night without pain killers.  I was told that it would take at least 6 months after the operation for anything like full ROM to return.  At the present rate of progress, I feel it could take a bit longer than this, but I am sure the exercises are helping a lot and are worth sticking with.  

• Posted

Oops, hit send without adding that your progress so far seems normal.  It was about 3 weeks before I could get my hand to the floor over my head whilst lying down.  I think the two key words in this are Patience and Persistance!  Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi!  Allison I am now 16 days past.. My arm hurts like never before.. movement is still limited but i can raise my arm higher then before, so hopingthat is ggod sign. the pain they tell me will ease as time goes on but i must work it. so I go to physical therapy three times a week. First session was wed. dec 7, I can tell you it was rough but i go through it..they also gave me excersizes to do at home in between sessions. so here I start... good luck and I will definately keep you posted on my progress..Can also get my arm straight up after the surgery but not yet to the floor also hoping time will work its magic.. take care..
  • Posted

Hi..yes my external range is still not in full range..im just on a year with FS..no pain but lack of ROM..its apparently 2 to 3 year process....all the best dear..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.