Anti Inflammatory Meds do not work!!!!?!!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a middle aged female and have suffered from Costo/Tietzes Syndrome on my left side, twice, 2 years apart. The first time lasted for about 6 months and the second time for around 3 years.

Both times this was set off by heavy lifting; I am very slight but have a tendency to go in guns-a-blazing when it comes to doing stuff.

I was given anti inflammatories by my GP and had all the usual tests. Had the anti inflammatories upped as the pain got worse. It seemed that the more medication I took, the worse the pain got, so one day I just stopped the medication completely and within a day or two the pain subsided by at least 50%. The anti inflammatories seemed to be making the pain worse!?!

Told the GP, but they just seemed surprised!?!?

Eventually, was referred to a Physiotherapist who referred me on to Hydrotherapy. It is the best thing that had happened in 3 years. They gradually built up my core muscles; I then went on to gentle exercise.

I am, today, almost back to my old self. But heavy lifting can set it off for a few days, so have to know my limits. The ribs are still swollen but no pain, Wow! I never thought I would say that again.

This was Tietzes Syndrome, I believe, as the affected areas were inflamed and felt hot and the pain spread, at worst, up into my neck and down into my hips.

If anyone is interested, I was recommended a book by a fellow sufferer, about cutting out starchy (inflammatory causing) food.

‘The Inflammation Free Diet Plan’ by Monica Reinagel. Very informative and very helpful.

Just hopes my story helps someone in some way. As I would not wish this on anyone!

Good tips: rest when you are in pain. An ice pack on the ribs is good;  it’s the only relief I had.

Also whoever stated that the pain lasts for a few weeks, HA!!! They have obviously never suffered from it.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bella I'm with you on that the pain lasts a lot longer than a few weeks I've had mine for nearly 2years on and off it becomes unbearable at times I can't take ibuprofen or anything like it like you I feel no pain and go like a bull in a China shop only have to pay for it feels like heart attack when it's in your chest I would like to know the name of the book

• Posted

Hi there

Sorry to hear that you suffer too. Feel like I was being fobbed off all the time by the medical profession. Dont think there is much research into the condition!?! Hopefully this will change in the future.

The book I mentioned, is called ‘The Inflammation Free Diet Plan’ by Monica Reinagel. I found it very useful as it gives indepth info into foods best to avoid, also foods which have anti inflammatory properties. I go back to it lots and have slightly changed my eating habits.

• Posted

No docs don't care you are left to struggle on by your self do you find sometimes you can be in pain for days then next it's gone but you know it's there waiting to start again sounds a bit mad

• Posted

Hi there,

my pain seemed to come and go but gradually, but I knew when I had done too much, it would take a couple of days to come on.

• Posted

Thanks for this. I will definately try to get hold of that book, I notice I do feel worse sometimes after eating sweet stuff and look into hydrotherapy. I just get so fed up with it every day. It gets worse towards the end of the day but when I lie down after a bath it eases.
    • Posted

Hi

Glad you found it useful. I was determind to get back to at least 'near' normal. The GP said that when it flares up; rest is the best thing. I am back doing gentle yoga now which would have been unthinkable a couple of years ago.

Take care and good luck.

• Posted

Hi Bella,

Thanks for sharing your story! I too got no relief or not much anyway from ibuprofin. My PT actually told me inflammation. And I was having healthy smoothies with about 6 different fruits. I bet the sugar count(Although healthy) was about 40 grams.. Since Inow only have spinach,strawberries and a small amount of bluberries with non fat no sugar free greek yogurt and a small amount of walnuts. I lost 35 pounds.I was doagnosed w Costro a year ago. and have had good and bad days. Stress is definitely a trigger for this condition. I use a soft ice pack alot. and it helps. And take a medicine called Neurontin..Definitely helps the pain! Whats a physiotherapist? Working out in the water helped you?

• Posted

Hi

A physiotherapist works with musle and movement. I was too much in pain to move my torso, so my core musles got weak, the Physio helped build them up slowly.

• Posted

I notice that I also get soreness in my lower back and hips and down both sides. Never connected it to Tietzes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.