Newly diagnosed and gfr keeps changing

Posted , 6 users are following.

In late April of this year I had a routine blood test that showed my gfr was 41 and my creatine was elevated. At the time I was on oral Voltaran for arthritis. I immediately stopped the Voltaran. They continued to do blood tests and my gfr continued to fall while my creatinine and potassium continued to rise. Was hospitalized for closer observation and ultimatelyy gfr fell to 20 and potassium rose to 6.6. After stopping all medications and multiple IVs I was finally stabilized at gfr 31 and released. My gfr rose to 41 and stayed there. Folllwed the diet, kept my diabetes in check, have low blood pressure and every thing was smooth sailing with my new normal. Now suddenly without any reason that I or my drs can find my gfr is 30 and my creatinine and potassium are rising. Any ideas why things are in the toilet again and how can I stop it from happening or getting worse? It's scary because if I hadn't had a blood test I wouldn't have had any idea that my kidneys were failing again. Sorry this was so long but I keep searching for answers and can't seem to find any.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think you have cause to be concerned.  One question, were you having routine blood tests every six months after your GFR rose to 41?  Hopefully, you didn't go for a period of time without testing.  Since none of us on this website are doctors, I think it is difficult to answer your questions.  In addition to controling your BP and diabetes, I hope you're drinking plenty of water and not taking any ibprofin meds.

• Posted

I had a similar experience, was on Naproxen and blood pressure meds, mine suddenly dropped to 39. Stopped meds and it's up to 53. Have another appointment Tuesday. I had no idea these prescription meds could cause kidney problems. Severe anxiety!

• Posted

Hi,

Ibuprofen is a massive no no if you have kidney issues the doctors usually tell you not to take them.

• Posted

He hellen can you please share a bit more details about your experience of going thriugh dialysis abd transplant.im 40 years old with gfr 24.im not diabetic i only had high blood pressure wich is controlled.i had a huge reductions in gfr in last 6 months from 38 to 18.my kidney doctor couldnt do nothing to stop it finally I decided to go to Pakistan(where im originally from)despite of kidney doctor strong opinion not to travel.i stayed there for 10 weeks and seen by 2 nephrologists they adjusted my medication,now im back to uk i feel much better gfr gone back To 24 i have no symptoms at all.kidney doctor says i might need renal replacement therapy in near future ive got 6 siblings they are willing to donate kidneys if i needed.dont know about the life after dialysis ot transplant. can you please share your experience thanks
    • Posted

I had no idea I had kidney disease. My previous physical showed creatinine of 1.13 and eGFR greater than 60. Seems I was already in stage 2.
    • Posted

Hi,

I have always had kidney probles and have always been at stage three, then in April 2014 my GFR stated to drop they said I had 18 months until dialysis I actually lasted 7 months they can never sa for sure. By Nov 2014 I was on dialysis and in September this year I had a transplant from my friend.  The outcome has been up and down, I was told when you have a kidney transplant you will be fine although we are all different the reality for me has been different I don't get on with the anti rejection meds but have no choice but to take them on lot have been changed I have had norovirus and am full of cold so this is not helping me at the moment.  I will get there though I haven't come this far to give up.  Some of us get on with the meds no problem but my body doesn't really like any meds it took ages to find bp meds that suited me when I needed them.  I am not on any BP meds now or alficacidol so that is good.  Hope all goes well for you take care.

• Posted

Hi David,

Can I ask are you of more mayure years? if so everyones GFR naturally drops as we get older.  You will find that most of the population is stage 2 they just don't know it so if you don't have any kidney issues I would not worry hope this helps,

• Posted

I am 64 Helen. My problem I think started when a urologist in Singapore prescribe Zithromax for a four week term.
  • Posted

Hi,

With a gfr of 30 you are already at stage 4 ckd (there are 5 stages, stage 5 is end stage, do not be scared by this) your kidney failure may be conected to your diabeties this is a common issue for diabetics.  You say your bp is low which is good.  I am not a doctor but I feel you should prepare yourself for your gfr to drop more.  When you were admitted to hospital were you seen by a dietician who gave you advice on what not to eat?? if not I would ask to see one as a low potassium diet will help with your levels but only do this if you are told to by a medical professional and they will monitor you to ensure your potassium isnt too low as this is just as dangerous.  When my gfr was like yours my potassium was 7 and I am still here, I have also been through dialysis and a kidney transplant and I am only 39 and still here so as scary as it is for you at the moment it is not that bad I promise.  Are you taking insulin?  I would avois salt and low salt and ibuprofen and if you are over weight try and rectify that and do a little excercise even if you start off walking to the end of your road and back.  It all helps. Are you under a nephroligist yet as you should be if your gfr is that low, I think I got monitored each month while my gfr was around 30.  Please do keep us posted and remember you are not on your own there are lots of nice people on here that will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.