External Hemorrhoid just appeared. Quite painful

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, 

I have had internal heomorrhiods for years, with very little trouble. A couple of years ago i had one that pushed out and I had to pop back. 

Now i've suddently got a rather large and painful external hemorriod. It feels like its turned up suddenly. It's very swollen both interally and externally. 

Do heomorriods reduce in size by themself without treatment?

Should I get to the doctor? Unfortunatley, there's a bit of a wait for appointments due to Xmas. What is the best OTC treatment? 

Is anyone else going through this at the moment. I do wonder if it a thrombosed hemorrhiod? 

Any advise would be appreciated. It feels a bit miserable, but it does feel like it has just come out of the blue. 

Thank you. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi mojo my experience over many years with this problem is yes they do disappear, but sometimes they do burst first, afterwards they shrivel back. This is a bit uncomfortable and I did apply annusol from the chemist and it was helpful . But it should be checked out by a doctor. I struggled along with this for over 20 years and had to have a haemorroidectomy in the end. But this was the last line of defense and not the first line. So go and get it checked by a doctor first. What have you got to loose? They might suggest some quick help that might be long time or not go and find out .Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply june91785. This morning I purchased some anusol  ointment which is for internal and external hemorrhiods. I've got to wait a week for an GP appointment and I just wanted to do something to make it more comfortable. I suppose my fear was that it would get progressively more uncomforable. I felt rather emotionall about it yesterday, as I wondered how painful they could get. Today, I'm more accepting of it all.  I hope the treatment works well and quickly. 

Thank you. 

• Posted

Hi Mojo and well done by the sounds of things u r years away from a haemorroidectomy. Annusol worked for me for several years. Then I went on to injections, this sounds awful but I had it done every few years and each time it was painless. Then I went on to banding had this done 4 times over the years, again, a bit more pain not much and I did not need any pain killers at all ever only a lovely soak in the bath. My last banding was August 2016 but it was not successful, so the surgeon said I must now go for a haemorroidectomy. Ok this was not easy, had it on 24th November last and today was my 1st day out walking. But it has taken me 20 years to get to this point. It seems as you have just started so you are years away. A new treatment has just come out called Raphael it costs £3,000 privately and my surgeon tells me that it will be going onto the national health soon. For this to work you must not have more than grade 2 heamorroids mine were grade 4. It is an almost pain free procedure. A probe is inserted and the haemorrhoids are demolished by an electric current, evidently you have a warm sensation and low pain. So my guess is that you will never reach a haemorroidectomy. At the moment this is only performed at a hospital in Surrey. Google it and you can read all about it. I did telephone them but they would not see me as I told them I was Grade 4. They did say, however that they would consider up to a grade 3 but the surgeon would have to decide if the Raphael was the way to go or not. But they would not even see me. This is something for you to think about. I think that you would have an option whereas I did not. Let me know how you get on. Cheers 🍻

• Posted

Hi another tip....if the annusol does not work then try Annusol H/c this is stronger, but you might need a perscription in order to get this one, not sure about this. But do not use the H/C all the time because over the months it could cause the skin to thin in that area. I think I used about 4 tubes in 20 years. You could also try suppositories in annusol. You could also try Germoloid cream as this had an anesthetiser substance mixed in it. Finally diet... drink more water and follow a diet high in fruit and veg.. a flat desert spoon of ground linseeds will keep constipation away taken every morning with your breakfast cereals. NOTE here they must be ground do not use them unless they are. You can buy ready ground ones from Holland Barrett sometimes their seeds are mixed with other seeds all the better for you, just so long and they have been milled into a fine consistency. Whole seeds enter the body and come out the same way. The goodness comes into force once they have been ground down. I grind mine down once per week and place them in the fridge with a screw top glass jar. Grinding extracts the oil in them do this should be refrigerated so it does not become rancid. Good luck then 👍

• Posted

Thank you for the extra advice. Very interesting to know that linseeds need to be ground and also thank you for letting me know about other treatment options. Yesterday, even passing wind was an uncomfortable experience. 

Am i right in thinking that linseeds are the same as flaxseeds? 

• Posted

Linseeds are in fact the same as flaxseeds. They are golden variety and also brown. Not sure why or what exactly the difference is but there must be some difference because the golden ones are always more expensive at H and B . Have a go try them try a bit every morning do not go mad, I told my girlfriend about this and she covered her cereals with 2 tablespoons and it gave her the runs!!! Wind is unpleasant I have had some of this today too, -and it does not feel good after you have had a haemorroidectomy. But I am off all pain killers as from today but keeping up the movicol. I take half a packet morning and evening to produce a softer stool. They were given to me at the hospital, but just bought some extra at Tescos until I feel really normal. By the way I have never been constipated in my whole life and I am past 50, but still got haemorrhoids. I put it down to 15 hrs in labour and a forceps delivery having my 1 st baby. Do not think that you come into this category???!!!!

• Posted

I'm a woman and I turned 50 this year. I haven't had children. I smoked cigs in my youth and develped a  smokers cough which perhaps might have put some pressure on the area over a long period time. I thankfully don't smoke any more and the cough went too.

I did some quick reseach as to whether there was any links with the menopause and it seems not. 

I certainly had constipation on and off throughout my life. I eat a pretty healthy diet, Hardly any junk food except chocolate.I'm not overweight. I know need to drink more water!

I hope you are recovering well from your haemorroidectomy.

• Posted

So sorry Mojo but I was not sure if this was a male or female name I have not come across it. Thanks getting a bit better everyday ...
    • Posted

No need to appogise. I have been very grateful for this chat and your advice. 
  • Posted

Thanks also for the info on Raphael. I will google it, as i love doing reseach. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.