Feeling awful.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on Celexa 10 mg for about 10 days. I feel horribly spacey Unlike my normal self. Has not started to help with my constant anxiety but I do feel stoned. Is this normal? Does it get better?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Walter I started on /0mg of Citalopram and felt spaced out and unreal for about 6 days then it got better, stick with it this will pass and my anxiety is a lot better
  • Posted

Sorry that was meant to say 10mg
    • Posted

Yes we are all different just try and keep busy and get put in the fresh air you wil soon feel better
    • Posted

The loopy feeling make you feel like you were going insane ! Thank you for your advice!
    • Posted

Your welcome and we're all here to help each other. Yes when I had the feeling that o wasn't real it scared me but I kept going for walks and keeping busy and it didn't last yours won't either try and stay positive

• Posted

Sorry for the additional question but as you said this is scary did you just wake up one day and not feel high anymore? Or was it gradual?
    • Posted

I would say it probably went one day but when I thought about it it seemed to be there then one day it was gone and I'm sure it will go soon Walter just try not to give it your power

• Posted

Yes this is very normal for a lot of people who start SSRIs. It is also why many peole don't stick with them. It should go away. It did for me anyway. Hate to say it but IMO sometimes Drs start people on too high of a dose but they don't know better because they have probably never taken it. When I started, I started by breaking mine in halves, then slowly went up by Drs instructions. I know a lot of people who tried going on them but went off because of that spacy feeling. You may even need to try a different SSRI. You may get less side effects from different meds. I thoughtProzac to gave me insomnia and Paxil gave me hot flashes. Zoloft I tolerated a lot better but I know a lot of people who cannot tolerate Zoloft. It is all what works best for you and sometimes you might need a combination of meds. Do everything under the advise of your Dr. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If the feeling keeps up I think you should go in and tell them. Never stop taking SSRIs cold turkey. You can actually get horrible withdrawals if you don't go off it slow. Although 10 mgs is a low dose so don't let it scare you. If you are on long term and want to go off your Dr will get you to go off slow. They call it discontinuation syndrome because it's only a physical withdrawal. You won't mentally crave the drug because they don't give that euphoric high or rush like narcotics or other drugs. 

• Posted

Thank you so much! How long did you have the spacey stoned feeling for? You
  • Posted

Hi Walter,

Yes it is usual for some of us to get that stoned feeling, spaced, freaky, outta body call it what best suits you!  Re the anxiety, then you have to know that Cita cause it or slightly increases it first to then be able to treat it!  Now, I didn't have anxiety, but then I did and it then it went.  Everyone is so uniquely different that some get over this side effect quickly (lucky burgers!) or more gradually which I did.  Worked though and once Citalopram (here in UK celexa with you) got working and repairing the rest of the damage I finally came through.

We know what you are going through and the one of the best ways to deal with it, is to just ask!

Keep posting, no matter how silly it may feel (I do!), keep reading, but remember everyone is different what happens to one person does not mean it will happen to you!  So try not to over think or worry when it is not necessary!

So, YES!  It will get better, but you have to give it time, the more you stress the longer it may take.  Anyway, now you have us so, at least you have people to talk with that have or are going through the same!

Welcome to The Club!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Great information David thanks. I've been on 10mg of Citalopram for 17 days now I felt awful for 6 days then picked up luckily, I do find that I have a slight shake in my hands is that normal will that go goes anyone know? Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Have you recently stopped drinking?  No, okay it ain't that then! Just a little humour to start a congratulatory reply!  Only felt awful for 6 days, wow, that is brilliant you are so lucky!

I have not had this personally (well, not from the med) however, I have read many posts where some do experience this so, I would say probably a side effect, but the next time you speak to your GP (Doctor) mention it.  It is always best to have regular check ups of say once a month and inform them of everything that has happened, since the last.

Every good day is a positive, the way you deal with or accept each 'blip' if they come, will help you, possibly, spot the next before it hits so you can adjust accordingly to the situation.

What is normal?  Nothing!  What may not be normal is, someone starting on the med and doing well from the beginning apart from the odd side effect!  No one is knocking it, that is great news!

I am still on Cita and I have no side effects, I do get 'blips' now and again and me and my Fiancee just dance around it.  I never thought I'd get to this stage when I first joined the Forum and read some really positive posts from the 'Far (Good) Side'.  Hey, but I have and helping others!

Regards,

David x

• Posted

Haha funnily enough I havent drank for nearly 10 years now but still remember the shaking hangovers!!

Yes I get the odd blip too but I plod on through. How long gave you been on Cit?

• Posted

Thank goodness and well done!  I mean thank goodness because if I had guessed the wrong way round it could have been difficult, if ya know what I mean?  Hic!.

Just passed my second anniversary beginning of the month.  When I reached the point where I levelled out the first time, I was 5/6 months in. Then I had some non-Cita related events, two physical and one Family.  As my US Family arrived to stay with us I had a dental problem that needed close scruitiny and the build up of the arrival, which included newlyweds, my neice, her hubby and my dental issue (which turned out okay!) caused a bit of a 'blip', but I and we handled it very well.

They proceeded on the Grand European Tour and we settled back to our routine.  For August I arranged an secret suprise anniversary weekend away to the place Ann and I started dating (do they still say that?) . While there I became ill which I have to say, was nothing to do with the place we were staying.  We returned home on the Monday morn in a bad way and the long and the short of it was I ended up in A&E with a burst Appendix (and I don't mean to do with a book!).  It turned out I was a dead man walking for about two months!!!  Some rare bacteria called streptamilleri reacted to the rupturing appendix and formed an abscess around it which saved my life!  Then in December last year my Brother passed and with all that went on each time I thought of trying to reduce to come off these got in the way.  So, if these things had not happened I may be off now or on a reduced dosage.

Now, believe it or not, I saw my GP in late September and the next appointment was booked for January and we were going to sort out reducing, finally!  

However, I now have to have a hip replaced!!!  So, putting off the reduction again.  Stressful?  No, not now that I have gotten used to these interuprions!

So, the theme of me waffle is, everyone is different therefore not everyone has the same or intensity of side effects  and it takes as long as it takes whatever gets thrown (or not) at ya!

Weekend coming up have a great one!

Regards,

David x

• Posted

Wow you have been through a lot and got through it well done and o like your humour!! It's amazing there's people all over the world helping each other x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.