First timer, bunion surgery, one foot

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all and Happy Holidays! 

I am Jenny, new to this group.  I am having my first foot, bunion surgery at the beginning of 2017. I have done quite a bit of research myself, however, am open to suggestions, especially those who have had one foot done at a time.  

I kindly thank you for your time and wish you all the best in your recovery! 

Thanks much and best, 

Jenny 

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had my big toe bones fused it's a similar op to the bunions 

I had both done all I can say is do what the docs tell you to 

and good luck 

• Posted

Thank you much Cluckers46!  Happy Holidays! 
    • Posted

Any other tips Cluckers46? anyone else too...

bathroom use? crutches vs walker? 

sleeping tips?  

• Posted

we will be recovering together! so to speak...My surgery is Jan 21st.

• Posted

Hi arelene83746,

Sounds good.  We can chat on this forum together! 

Jan 21st is actually my birthday! 

• Posted

Hello Arlene,

I am now 9 days post-op.  Have learned so very much during these first two weeks.. 

Your bunion surgery is in one week, Jan 21st, correct? 

(that is actually my bday! :-) 

Happy to give you suggestions if have same surgery! Ask me anything! 

Best of luck to you in your recovery! 

Jenny 

• Posted

Take it easy. The first few days are painful. I only used crutches to get to the car after the surgery. I wish I had gone with my gut, saw the consultant at 9 days he told me I couldn't do any damage and has now back tracked, scar has got infected and is really painful. Don't be put off had the other foot done years ago. The bunion pain has gone this is just a set back, I wore trainers to soon. I could get into trainers at 10 days but decided to wait another week to give my scar a chance to heal. Even with this set back I'm pleased I had the surgery.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I have a friend who had the surgery years ago. She took one look at my foot and toldl me I needed the surgery and that's probably why I keep falling down all the time! If you only used crutches to get to the car, how did you get to the bathroom and all over the house?

• Posted

Thank you for the tips and honesty, mrspiggy!  I intend to follow the doctor's instructions expliicitedly, so I have been told. I want recovery to be as quick and as painless as possible.  

what type of surgery specifically did you have? 

crutches vs walker? scooter necessary? 

what about bathroom use in first few days, week or so?  any tips? 

• Posted

I can't give advice yet because my surgery will be on January 23rd but we can comiserate while recovering.

• Posted

Got it, Arlene, Jan 23rd, a few weeks after mine on Jan 5th.

Your is also bunion surgery on one foot? 

Sorry, getting confused with all the comments and responses. 

Best of luck to you!  

• Posted

yes, my left foot. a bunion by my big toe which has caused the one beside it to curl, hammer toe?
    • Posted

oops sorry Arlene, not sure how this site works so hard to follow everyone's specifics.....Your surgery is Jan 23rd? 

Mobility:  Initially I used walker due to rain here in LA and feeling weak.

Recently progressed to crutches and learning best way to use them. For the most part, in home I can use one.  Outside, two is best.  Using two takes pressure off the foot more.  

Pain:  Increased quite a bit this week after my first post-op so icing and rest helps a lot. 

Also, everything in moderation. Do NOT overdo it! 

Listen to your body! 

Best of luck and be in touch! 

Jenny 

• Posted

Hi jenny

Yes, my surgery was on Monday. It took twice as long because when my doc got in, my bone was too soft for screws and he had to use wires. I was in excruciating pain the first 2 days, better today but had to go back today to have dressing redone, skin was red so I have antibiotics and pain meds. it's got to get better now, right?

• Posted

Hang in there Arlene! 

Sorry not on here much these days....I'm now 5 weeks post-op recovering well each day. Yesterday overdid it a bit so taking it easy today. 

ICE, elevate and lots of rest first two weeks! 

Also, be careful of pain meds....they will cause constipation. If you have avoid them or take VERY minimally, I would highly advise that. 

Best of luck to a speedy and smooth recovery! 

To all as well! :-) 

• Posted

Ended up in the ER 2 weeks ago with a panic attack. Stopped taking the percocet and switched to ibuprophen. Couldn't take my anxiety meds Klonopin when i was taking the pain meds. When I went for my 2 week checkup, my dr had to take the rod out of my second toe because i had a huge blood blister. He couldn't take out all the stitches because the incisions are still puffy and not healed well enough. Dr. Short put me in a hard cast for another month at least. Now my toe probably will still be crooked because he wanted to leave it in for at least another month. This means I have to go another month without being able to walk. I am very discouraged...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.