Tips for coping with anxiety, especially first thing in the morning.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I am Estorel patches, since 23rd Nov this year. I feel really anxious first thing in th emorning, especially. Does anyone else have this, if so any tips for coping. And, anyone know if this will reduce over time as the patches kick in?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I've been on evorel patches since about the same time as you and get mood swings but I have now found a difference in my hot flushes since using them

• Posted

HI Caroline. My mood swings seemed to lessen but this week re-emerged. Strange isn't it. Let me know how you get on and also any tips. How do you cope?

• Posted

Hello Catherine

You don't mention your age.  Is the anxiety a new thing for you?  Would be good to give the patches a reasonable go and then discuss with your prescribing doctor.  Personally I prefer to be managed by a gynaecologist as they are more informed and more interested in women's issues.  If you find that one form of HRT does not suit then ask for an alternative.  Good luck.  Lyn

• Posted

Thanks Lyn, I am 53 and yes the anxiety is new to me. It's coincided with me being diagnosed with vaginal atrophy in September and then going on the patches in November. Plus in the middle whilst scanning for possible bladder issue, I had a cancer scare when a lump was found on my kidney (turned out not to be cancerous). I think I have lost my head a bit!! I am persevering with the patches. At the mo I have a urology appointment in early Feb but maybe will end up with gynaecologist.

• Posted

Hi Cathrine, I suffer from the anxiety thing in the morning, it's sometimes like a feeling of dread.. It's a very common meno problem.. I have been on Evorel patches for 13 years now and still have this in the mornings sometimes. If you are a natural worrier (which I am) then it tends to heighten the problem. I find that getting up and having a coffee/tea helps and the feelings subside. It depends what's going on in your life too.. It's a real pain but one that can be managed.

• Posted

Thanks Pat. I will try a cup of tea or coffee. I think you replied to me before about how long the patches take to work; I have only been on them two and a half weeks so still not sure if they are working (had a bad crying episode yesterday!). Anyway I will persevere. Thanks for the tips though, appreciate your help. I am 53, how old are you Pat, just wondering if you have been on the patches for 13 years?
    • Posted

I'm 66 .. An 'old hand at this' lol!  Can I ask why you started on HRT? hot flushes/feeling tearful etc., I neded them primarily for the hor flushes and night sweats because they were unbearable. The flushes cleared up in a couple of weeks.. I think the anxiety and horrible feelings fluctuate with our bodies at certain times of the month especially when you first start on HRT. It is very early days for you Catherine and I honestly think you have to give it more time, it's not an instant fix..  it can take 3 to 6 months to settle down. You are putting more hormones into your system and we all know what a PAIN hormones can be until they are 'tamed' (for want of a better phrase). so, hang in there girl!! Do try getting up as soon as you feel anxious, it always works with me .. 

• Posted

Hi Pat

Glad to talk to someone with such experience. I had hot flushes and night sweats and trouble sleeping a couple of years ago and went to the GP then. She wasn't very sympathetic at that stage and as I recall sent me away with some leaflets. In August this year I started being troubled with what I thought were urine infections and after a month or so was diagnosed with vaginal atrophy which maybe you know is to do with lack of estrogen. I have been using topical estrogen (Vagifem) since September for those symptoms (needing to pee, burning and pressure). By November I was becoming anxious and worried and distressed, partly trying to cope with pain and discomfort and it was then that a different GP suggested the patches. A GP before prescribed anti-depressants but I didn't take them and don'e want to. So it's a strange tale really. In October, during tests for any probs in my bladder, I had a cancer scare too when an ultrasound showed up a lump on my kideny which turned out not to be cancerous but involved a CT scan and worry and stress so not sure what sparked all this off really. I will give it more time Pat and hope it will work over time.

• Posted

Hi Catherine, I'm 49 and in perimenopause.  I have been experiencing intense anxiety as well and am not normally an anxious person.  The anxiety I feel is in my chest and ony lasts for a second but I get these feelings 100 - 140 times in my waking day.  It is driving me crazy.  I still work but the anxious feelings make me feel exhausted and I can't participate in all the social activities that I would like to. I put up with it for a year before I saw a doctor (thinking/hoping that it would go away).  The doctor prescribed an antidepressant called Fluoxetine which didn't do anything to help.  A different doctor has now prescribed Propranolol (Inderal), a beta blocker, which I have gradually been increasing the dose over a few weeks and am up to 80mg a day now.  It is helping only a little bit.  My doctor has also prescribed Femoston 1mg/10mg, an HRT which I will start taking tomorrow and see if that helps.  Most discussion forums on perimenopause/menopause talk about hot flushes and how the medication helps that.  I haven't seen many discussions about anxiety as a symptom of menopause and how people have got rid of it either through medication or natural means.  I have read websites on mindfulness but any amount of deep breathing doesn't get rid of these ridiculous anxious feelings. I had a holter monitor to test my heart for a day and it was in the normal range. I'm not getting hot flushes, thank goodness.  Would be interested to see how you go on Estorel patches and anything else that you find helpful.

• Posted

Hi Tonya

Sorry to hear about your problems..horrible isn't it. I have now been on the patches for 6 weeks. I would say that there has been some improvement. I still feel anxious some of the time but my husband says I seem better and sometimes it's difficult to measure yourself. I am trying a lot of 'positive thinking' and reading about coping with anxiety. I am hoping that the longer I am on the patches, the better I will feel. My doctor prescribed antidepressants for me but I only took one and had a violent sickness reaction which made my vaginal atrophy symptoms worse so I didn't take anymore and went to ask about hrt instead. We have to be careful what medics are giving us.

I don't know your circumstances but all this stated for me after a very stressful year leading up to August but I wasn't depressed. I guess all the menopausal stuff was there and came out or to a head then.

I wonder if your problems are menopausal or peri rather than anything else but I don't know. I am not out of the woods myself and am in pain most days to do with the atrophy symptoms so I think a lot of my anxiety is to do with that.

I have started walking each day, try to walk with a friend or relative. I have also told my children so that they have an insight into why I might seem odd. I find little things to think of and hopr for, get my hair done, go shopping (even if I spend little). I started knitting in the evenings (I am rubbish but it keeps my hands busy). I am going to do an on line positive thinking course. Also I have an appointment next week with a gynaecologist who is an expert on menopause, took me a while to get that and find the right person so I am going to see what she says because apparently there are lots of hrt options and regimes which might help us. I will let you kow what she says if you like.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Catherine. My anxiety started at the same time my periods stopped and I bought a new house. I thought the anxiety was because of moving house, that's why I waited a year before I saw a doctor.  Then I had 3 more irregular periods so am still in perimenopause.  I am not depressed.  I feel like the anxiety is not controlled by thoughts because I'm just doing everyday things and I've always been a positive, content person.  I've told my eldest daughter but I should tell my younger two girls as well so that they understand why I am a bit short with them at times and don't feel like doing what they want me to do sometimes.

Seeing a gynaecologist is a good idea.  Someone else recommended that to me.  That is something I might consider.

I'm not doing any excercise except walking up and down our stairs.  I just feel like I can't do anything extra until I get this anxiety under control.  If I have improvement after taking Femostan I'll let you know.  My older sister is taking Livial but that is for when you are in menopause not peri.  It's just helpful to know that other people are experiencing something similar and we're not alone in this.

• Posted

Hi Tonya

Yes, keep in touch please and I will with you as I think we need to give each other as many tips as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.