Am i not meditating right? It doesnt seem to help much..

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I was told to try meditation by many people on here along with a doctor of mine.. The people on here I know personally have tried it and it worked, otherwise they wouldn't be telling me to try it..

I'm confused as how to do it. I found a very relaxing track on youtube, but past that I'm lost.. I'm just supposed to concentrate on breathing, right? I just can't get my mind to calm down enough where literally my only thoughts be "breathe in" and "breathe out" .

I really want to try this though because the music itself instantly calms me within 5 minutes.. Should I be sitting a certain way, can I be laying down? Do I think positive thoughts or of just breathing? I googled a few pages and they all say different things of techniques and stuff but I'm not sure which works best for anxiety purposes.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It does take time to get used to it, find a meditation listen to it for 10 mins in morning then 10 mins at night just keep pausing it & start where you left.....use the same meditation for about 7-10 days then move into a next one. Just try & loose yourself in it easier said than done I know but it will get easier & you will feel better for it just bare with it.

• Posted

Go onto mindful excersises in utube. Try that. Mediatation takes a lot of timebefire yiu actually can successfully do it. I love the mindful exercises personally.
  • Posted

Hi, Breathe in through your nose for 4 and breathe out through the nose for 4. You can lie down, sit up whichever is comfortable. Listen to the music and do the count... this focuses your mind on just that and nothing else. try it and see if that works.
  • Posted

I was taught meditation in a Pain Clinic and now I am able to reduce my heart rate an resperation as well. My Wife says my eyes seem to open while I relax although I do not pick up on anything at the time as I seem to awake if someone calls me.

I use the Maxwell Technique, I was instructed on that in a Mental Health Clinic.

Also I was instructed on the Alexander Technique in the Pain Clinic about fifteen years ago I mix both techniques up together although they are virtually the same. Both techniques really relax me and help my pain control

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.