Crippling fear of dying

Posted , 5 users are following.

i've had anxiety for a good portion of my life, but not quite as bad as it is now. i'm in recovery for alcohol & drugs and have been for almost 4 years now. at the height of my addiction i was rushed to the er where the dr told me if i didn't stop i was going to die. ever since then i have this fear of dying. it controls every aspect of my life. i can no longer hold a job for more than a few months and i have tried everything from different meds, therapists, groups and even an outpatient. i don't want to live like this anymore. i try and talk myself down which seems to help a little but the fear is still there. i don't want to waste my beautiful life on something that is ultimately not in my control. i was wondering if anyone else suffers from this condition as well or panics about small aches and pains being something major.

Brooke

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I dont have the recovery issues, but I do have the daily physical pains.. Its hard, but just think of it this way.. Your doctor said IF you didn't stop you would die.. And you stopped, so there is no more garbage going into your body. What symptoms do you have that bother you the most? And have you gotten them checked by a doctor to confirm it's just anxiety?

Mine is mostly my chest.. I'm terrified daily of a heart attack.. I'll have great days followed by 3 or 4 miserable days. Today and yesterday have been horrible symptom days and I'm physically and mentally exhausted. Try therapy until you find one that is a good fit. Journaling and coloring also help.

• Posted

thank you for replying. i have gone over that IF so many times but it doesn't seem to help. it's like the fact that it was even a question scares me, but i have gone to the dr about this. i have actually rushed there many times thinking that i have all types of stuff wrong with me such as cancer, heart attack, etc. after he confirms it is not that i feel better for a few days until my mind wonders about the next possible health issue. i will definitely try your suggestions. i have noticed my chest gets tight as well. i just try to sit down for a second and focus on my breathing and that seems to ease it. i also remind myself that the dr checked me out and i am fine. & i need to trust in that. it seems to ground me a little bit, but like how i said nothing permanent. thank you again for replying and i hope you find some relief for your anxiety as well.

• Posted

You talk about pains ... I get them all

Over I have had head scans and ekgs, echocardiograms, stress test and I get crazy pains in my head followed by tingly and weird sensation in my head ... I have been living on xanax because nothing agreeing with me I don't know what to do either and feel alone

• Posted

Hi Brooke,

I had this and for a while I was a hypochondriac but now I'm more accepting of it. That's not to say I still fear it but it doesn't control my life. I keep busy with the things I enjoy doing like painting and unpacking and while doing this I remember to think what's important in my life.

Like u say it's beyond ur control and I do take solace in the fact that we all have this same fear.

Try to connect with people and ask them their opinions on it. Cud u join an anxiety group or compassion focus therapy group.

Hope this helps

Phil

• Posted

thank you so much. it did help a lot actually. i crochet and do other crafts as it seems to help keep me focused on what i'm doing in that moment & not on all these unwanted feelings. i will try and look for anxiety group since that is something i have never done and feel like it actually might be of some help. thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Brooke I definitely know what you're going through and it is tough but hang in there you will find the answer I get it real bad and it goes on all day long it's terrible some days not so bad but it came on and off gradually and I wish it would go away just as fast as I can but I think like you do sometimes but we gotta hang in there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.