My husband is not balding, but has sparse hair, what should he do

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband is 41 and has always had sparse hair all over his head, not just in any one area. He tried treatments 12 years ago, but hasn't investigated anything since. Can anyone give some advice ? He looks like he has a full head of hair, but on closer inspection he is very thin throughout and he is very embarassed about it. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Things have changed so much in this arena in the last 12 years that it would be worth investigating again. I would probably start out with his GP and would probably get a referral to a dermatologist. You first have to get a determination if it is male pattern baldness, alopecia or some other form of baldness. It's doubtful that it's alopecia because that comes in circles or patches not an all-over spread of thinning hair. But depending on the type of hair loss he's had, will depend on the type of treatment, if there is one.

• Posted

The Cleveland Clinic says to take 3mg Biotin, 30mg zinc, 200mg vitamin C and 1mg folic acid daily, and it must be the full amount, you can go over as sometimes it's hard to find exactly 3mg Biotin (etc), but don't leave out anything.... kinda like a cake receipe! 

The Cleveland Clinic pays it's doctors a  salary, not based on work they bring in.

• Posted

Emma hope,you find the recipe below helps - I have had very thin hair for years and am now in my late 60s. I too a, really embarrassed by it and as a woman think looks awful. So,will Dawnay's recommendation. Is the Cleveland Clinic one for hair loss? Thanks anyway

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.