Graves/hyper

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi...Im going to my primary care doctor monday and would like her to draw blood work....my endo only takes the T3/T4 and TSH...which are all back to normal....which is great...but Graves is not a thyroid disease....As of late I've been breaking out with little red dots...and I've been fighting a skin rash the past 3 years...this has to somehow be tied to the autoimmune disease.... 

Any help with what blood test that I should ask my Primary Doctor to run...would be great....thanks so much  

and does anyone else have skin issues...I also have very dry skin...which I've never had before and of course the endo says it not related... 

Thanks so much...

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Although rare, graves can definitely cause skin rashes called pretibial myxoedema. I'm surprised your endo told you it's not related. Good thing is it's not serious and can be treated with steroid topical cream or sometimes it goes away on its own.

• Posted

I do see a dermatologist this week as well...she's been treating the bumps with a cream for the past 3 years...now, I have little red dots all over my stomach, back and upper arms...sometimes, it seems like its never ending....

• Posted

I had skin issues like welts breaking out on my forehead.  I rubbed the area with cotton pads soaked in Betamethasone scalp lotion and they stopped happening.
    • Posted

It was my family doc who gave me the prescription for an itchy scalp but I found it worked for other skin conditions as well.  My brother and I both would get very itchy inner ears and we would always get infections from scratching so much and then it would start all over.  I soaked some cotton tips with this lotion and rubbed it on when I got an itch and it got rid of the problem and so did my brother.  So you can tell your doc that  other people you talk to who have your thyroid condition also have issues like this and what they found worked topically was Betamethasone scalp lotion.
    • Posted

Also, when I was having these welts, I was referred to a dermatologist who was no help at all for them and an immunologist who also was no help with it.  I even got the lesion biopsied and it the result reported was not very informative.  The scalp lotion worked. It was like it was telling my immune system "go to sleep, false alarm".

• Posted

I've also gone to the derm for the bumps...she gave me a cream that works well on them...I've been fighting them for about 3 years now....

Last week I broke out with a new skin issue...red dots all over my stomach and back...some on my arms....

I just wish they would get to the root of the promblem...

• Posted

Wow !!I never knew that was connected to Graves .... I've been plagued by itching internal ears ... also itching

Eyes and the feeling of grit .. in my eyes ... for many years now ... just as long as I suspect I've had Graves

.... I'm going to ask for that

Lotion ... thanks again Linda ... boy am I glad you're here Luvvie ..,

Mx🌹

• Posted

Did I read that correctly ??

Graves is NOT a thyroid disease ??

.... can you be more specific about what that means please ??

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

What do you mean ... Graves is NOT A THYROID DISEASE ???

Please explain what that means ?

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Its not.....Graves' disease is a type of autoimmune problem that causes the thyroid gland to produce too much thyroid hormone, which is called hyperthyroidism.....In Graves’ disease, your immune system creates antibodies that cause the thyroid to grow and make more thyroid hormone than your body needs.,,,,,

• Posted

that may well be the case ...but Graves Disease Certainly causes 

Thyroid Disease ...  

or Vice Versa.....  Yes ... so ..

• Posted

you can be hyper/hypor without graves...but, chance are if you have graves you'll at some point have thyroid issues...

• Posted

If you are hyper, it doesn't necessarily mean you have graves but having graves definitely means you have hyperthyroidism. Your thyroid may not be the culprit rather the victim but since the antibodies primarily affects your thyroid function, so imo, grave s IS a thyroid disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.