Post- ablation for atrial flutter

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all - just wondering if anyone has had an ablation and what they experienced afterwards. I had an ablation on Thursday to address atrial flutter and the surgeon thought it went very well. But I think I feel worse than I did before! I am noticing my heart beating very fast more often than it did before. It's my understanding that it can take a few weeks for the body to get back to normal, but no one bothered to tell me I might feel worse before I start to feel better. Can anyone relate? It's much appreciated.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,  Can't help you out..  I have AF.  I think it's finally gone away with medication.  But just wondering where you were that made you goto ablation?  I'm sure many of us will reach that point .   Basically, I had to quit drinking and any notion of Cigars ( even a drag).   Now I'm on 50mg of Flecainide 2x / day and the AF has completely stopped.  My HB is 44 and regular.  I'm 66.  There's lots of recent studies that point to alcohol as a major contributor to AF.. I'm sure yours will improve.  I'm thinking of a fitbit to help monitor heart rate 

Thanks

Thanks 

• Posted

Hi - glad to hear your AF is under control with meds. I think the doctors figured meds wouldn't really do me any good as I also have Tetralogy of Fallot which was fully repaired. So I have congenital structural defects but the arrhythmia issue is fairly recent. They said they could try giving me a cardio version but the irregular beat would just keep coming back. I might also need a valve replacement, I'm having an MRI on Tuesday to hopefully get that sorted out.  I don't drink or smoke so I can't pin it on either of those things. Thank you for sharing your experience! 

• Posted

From posts on here the recovery time is quite long and many feel worse with a faster heart rate before feeling the benefit.

In my case I have had the pacemaker fitted already and have yet to decide on an ablation or AV node ablation and let the pacemaker take control. Your symptoms/condition must have been different to mine.

• Posted

I read that the recovery time has to do with your body having to respond to the irregular beat to begin with in addition to the trauma of the actual procedure being thrown at it as well and having to form new scar tissue etc. Yes we must have had two different issues because there wasn't even mention of a pacemaker made to me at all. It was said at my regular cardiology visit maybe 5-6 years ago that I might need one eventually in relation to the Tetralogy repair but no mention of it has been made since. At that point the doctor was talking about at least 20 years down the road but now with possibly needing a valve replaced who knows if they'll even reconsider it. 

• Posted

All of your procedures and proposed one are in a different sequence to mine. I started with an aortic valve replacement and that put me into AF. A cardioversion put me back into NSR for 15 montths before another procedure stimulated my vagus nerve and put me back into AF and another good cardioversion before another procedure put me back into AF.  
    • Posted

Its so interesting how different people come to have the same things. I wonder if it has something to do with age? (I am 32.) And again I have the pre-existing heart condition so that might have something to do with it too ... I wouldn't think they would ever propose a valve replacement as a first option for someone like me. Also I would need the pulmonic valve replaced so maybe since it was your aorta it was more serious? 

• Posted

I had no symptoms but tried to get on trial programme for renal denervation a BP lowering procedure. I was deemed not suitable for it but the thorough medical showed that I had aortic stenosis with my valve 76% closed. My age was also 76:-) I then wondered how long my valve had been faulty as murmur had been mentioned from time to time over the years. Way back when I had an Army medical when I was 18 the doctor listening to my heart stopped suddenly and looked up to ask if I had rheumatic fever as a child. I said no and he grunted and started to listen again. Strange how things like that stick in your mind.  
    • Posted

Yes it is! I had symptoms but was attributing them to bronchitis which my husband had. After 3 weeks of coughing, shortness of breath and generally feeling like garbage I finally went to get the cough checked out, and ended up with the flutter diagnosis. After that it made sense. In early September I had a migraine which landed me in the ER, where they gave me the standard EKG and noted nothing wrong with it. Then when I saw the adult cardiologist for the first time in early November (my regular cardiologist is pediatric), they said, well there were indications this was going to happen on the EKG that you had in September. Needless to say I was floored, but lesson learned: that's the difference between someone who's a heart doctor and someone who isn't.

• Posted

Hello there. Yes I had an ablation gor severe atrial fibrillation. It takes a few weeks to heal as there is inflammation in the heart from the procedure. My AF was worse and I had a few trips in the ambulance to the hospital and put on very strong meds for a few weeks. Hard going but it will be worth it in the end.

Best of luck and hang in there. It will all be behind you soom.

• Posted

Some very worthwhile comments here Annie.. How severe was your AF before you decided to do Ablation?   Obviously you tried meds first yadda yadda....  How long ago?   I'm 66 and controlling AF with Flecainide but always have ablation as an option???   not sure about it.  

• Posted

Too many trips in the ambulance. It was always around 200 beats per min but erratic as well. I'm glad I made the decision to have the ablation.

The ablation doesn't fix ectopic beats unfortunately. Dealing with those constantly!

Cheers

• Posted

Thanks for this ,  So far  I'm not there.  My afib is pretty well restricted to irrgular HB.  Mainly 40-90 Bpm.   Very irregular.  Thanks again..guess I'll just stick to the Flecainide for now. 

• Posted

Are they not concerned about your 40bpm. Mine was in the 40's for years with overnight drops to the mid to high 30's and 3.5 second pauses between some beats. I was told that I needed a pacemaker as a matter of some urgency.

• Posted

Hi Annie, thanks for sharing. My bpm have never been very fast, just hard and irregular. The surgeon said I could basically live with atrial flutter but it does make the chances of getting A-fib higher (apparently I was never actually in fibrillation). Again with the structural defect/condition that I already have they probably just figured it best that I shouldn't mess around. Not that I would want to! I'm so glad you have been able to feel better. 

• Posted

I have also not been placed on any medication such as a beta blocker etc. Maybe my flutter wasn't actually that bad? 

• Posted

They have never said 40bpm was a problem.  Save for when they tried Bisoprolol on me and it dropped to 30 bpm.  They were concerned and pulled the Bisoprolol.   I had AF 8 yrs ago for about a year and it stopped on its own.... then resurfaced this summer ...   3 months of it  and like you 3 second stops...  so I quit smoking , drinking...started going to church....lol... they gave me Flecainide and Diltiazem.   Diltiazem slowed me down too much.... so just Flecainide now.   Have to be on Xeratol too... anyway... no issues with the meds now.   Thought about quitting the meds???     Do you think  a pacemaker is a good move ?  

• Posted

One day my heart was racing at 136 bpm. I was told to take 2.5mg of bisoprolol and another 2.5 at night. In the morning my rate was down to 36bpm.

Only they can say if a pacemaker is right for you. I've not started the Church therapy yet. Perhaps you should try a faith healer as well,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.