I have osteoarthritis in my knee

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if I am suitable for stem cell surgery I am a 53-year-old man with osteoarthritis in three pockets in the knee can stem cell surgery help me get me back in good condition surgeons keep saying I need knee replacement can anyone explain to me why I cannot go down the road stem cell surgery as they are performing this in Australia not in the UK thank you

Performing this in Australia not in the UK thank you

David Parker

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

In the UK, unless NICE approve the procedure you can't get it on the NHS.  If you go to the NICE web site you will see that a lot of stem cell work is being monitored for consideration for use in the NHS. 

I would go for the knee replacement especially if you are in a lot of pain.

• Posted

Hi David, it could be that if your knee is bad enough for surgery than stem cell treatment is not of any benefit. I asked about this for myself and was told it's not suitable for Osteo Arthritis. I am going for a partial knee on the 14th. Knee replacements offer the best chance of being pain free after the initial recuperating. I have had knee replacements before so know this to be true. My friend recently had a hip replacement and is pain free. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

Thank you for getting back to me with your comment About my knee I was doing some research on a Australian website and this rugby player had bone on bone rubbing he found a big difference after he had stem cell surgery I am trying to avoid knee replacement as I like my sports and found people who had knee replacement still found a lot of discomfort whilst doing sports it is a big decision as there is no turning back so I have to be sure before going down that route hope it will work out for you let me know how it went how long have you had your osteoarthritis mine started beginning of the summer and it is very painful some days anyway good luck for the 14th wish you well David

• Posted

Hi David, thanks for sending me good wishes for the 14th. Yes you are best to wait for as long as possible before considering knee replacements, especially if your still active with sports. I guess everyones story is different. I have had Arthritis for a very long time as i was a child with Septic Arthritis which later became Osteo Arthritis so in all have had Arthritis for 49 years i am now 60. I had lots of problems including deformity annd eventually problems with the tibula and fibula bones which had to be straighted. So each case is different and cannot be compared. It's my other knee that is being operated on, the 14th. Yes i will let you know how it goes in a week or two. Hope you can find some treatment that is suitable for you, maybe the stem cell treatment if it is available for you. Take care.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

You could try rosehip. There is nhs evidence that this is effective in some cases. My dad is now pain free and can kneel, although his gait hasn't improved.

• Posted

Hi Lucy

Thank you forgetting back to me I am intrigued that your father is now pain-free with the rosehip I presume You ingest Rosehip not to rub it on the affected area I will definitely try it thank you once again David

• Posted

perhaps your dad would find walking towards a mirror helpful so that he could watch his gait...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.