Could my anxiety be caused by PCOS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a constant feeling of terror that started at the same time I stopped menstruating. I am in the process of being diagnosed right now but I'm so scared everyday that I've missed countless appointments and that only hurts me. I don't have panic attacks, I have a constant sense of terror. I'm on strong pain medication and benzodiapines and you'd think I'd be a zombie but I can't even sleep for more than two hours and that's been going on for a year and a half. I think the lack of sleep exasperates my anxiety and my anxiety exasperates my insomnia. Anxiety doesn't even cover it. It feels like someone is holding a gun to my head and about to kill me. I can't talk, leave my house, drive, do any chores, or even shower. I have 5-7 good days a month and they are sporadic and unpredictable. I feel like I'm in a living hell. I don't see my friends or family or interact with my live in fiancé. I'm terrified it is pcos because there's no cure and I dont want to live like this forever.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think you need to see a psychiatrist. Though stress also contributes to pcos
  • Posted

Yes of course! You can see other posts related, like one about PCOS and panic attacks...You are not the only one! Hormones are very much related to anxiety, at least that is my experience. For me it was fine when I took the pill. After that, my anxiety leves increased a lot, and I've had to take paroxetine some times. I hope you can find a solution for the hell you are living in. Good luck!

• Posted

Hormones are very much related to anxiety. I have suffered with anxiety disorder since I was a child. It got worse in my teeneage years and it wasn't until later on that I discovered it was due to hormone inbalance caused by my PCOS. I sympathise so much for anyone who has to suffer with anxiety. It really does feel like you're alone in the world. I think the first thing you need to get your head around is that you are not alone and are very much surrounded by people that can and want to help. I suggest trying to speak to your doctor about hormone treatment to help balance things out and possibly inquire about CBT (Cognative Behavioural Therapy) It is a therapy that focuses on problems with anxiety. I wish you all the best for the future and hope you find something to help. You don't have to live like this forever. There is help out there to get you back on track. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.