The disgusting smell of sinusitis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

A week ago I began to have pains behind my eye and a feeling of fullness in my sinuses.   Then I began with a disgusting smell in my nose.  It's happened two or three times before and I know, eventually, the smell goes away.   My nose isn't blocked at all, but I do feel pressure higher up.  When I blow my nose there is nothing.  Yesterday i spoke to the surgery nurse practitioner on the phone and she prescribed anibiotics.  I'm also inhaling steam three or four times a day.  The terrible smell continues!

Just wondered if others have had this, what I presume, is sinusitis.  Have others had this awful smell all the time?  I assume it's the bacteria?  Anymore more I can do?  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh and there's the constant dull headache over my eyes!

• Posted

Hi cheetah, I am experiencing exactly the same as you right now and have had it before. The smell is gross and the only way to get rid of the infection is with antibiotics. I also cough up a lot of this horrible smelling mucus. Instead of it going down and out of my nostrils, it goes on to my chest I find myself sniffing into my mouth and spitting it into a tissue - very lady-like I think NOT! It will clear but not alway with just 1 week of antibiotics. I have just requested another lot from my GP xx
    • Posted

Hi Gizmo.  Sorry to hear that you've got this miserable problem, too.  At the same time, I'm pleased to find a fellow sufferer, as I don't know anyone else who has the same thing.  I felt better when you said you've found the only way to get of it is with antibiotics, as I wondered whether I was making too much of a fuss!

I can't cough up mucus, unfortunately, I just find it impossible to do.  I wish I could.  However, I have noticed an increase in mucus at the back of my throat this week.

I've only taken one day's worth of antibiotics, so far, so another four to go.  Apparently, a 7 day course of Amoxicillin is now a 5 day course.  The nurse told me to get back to her by Friday, though, if I still had problems, so I'll see how I am.  I feel a little better in myself today, so maybe they're working, although that smell is there!

Is it a regular thing that you need more than one week's antibiotics to get rid of sinusitis?  I hope your second lot work well for you and you're soon feeling much better.

Take care. x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.