Poss First Gout Atack

Posted , 2 users are following.

HI, I recently had what the doc says was gout in my left thumb. GAve me colcichine which took it down a bit but it took over 3 weeks to go near completely. They did a blood test but it came outy normal levels of uric acid and they said no further action. Never had it in my toes which is apparently normal. About 6 months ago the left wrist swelled up and hurt for over a week for no reason. Doc said nothing to bother about....

​As no high levels of uric acid, is this diagnosis right? I am starting to lose weight, not over huge, dont drink or eat rich food so lord knows where it has come from!!!

Generally healthy except for what may be CFS or fibro, doc isnt interested in that either....

Good luck all. xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Biscuit

I too get gout in my thumbs and wrists.

You said they did a blood test - was the blood taken while you were having an attack or after?

Where does it come from? Genes.

You say you are losing weight - do you mean you are on a diet?

It could easily be gout. The best advice to begin without full information - drink lots of water.

• Posted

Hi Rusty. They took the blood during the test.

No one in my family has it and far as i know.

I am at slimming world at the mo, got 3 stone to lose. ....

And you're right, more water. ....

It's a very painful thing and sooooo annoying!

• Posted

I don't understand this:

"They took the blood during the test."

In my family it's my second cousins which all have gout (and me).

Good luck with the slimming... but you didn't get 3 stone over night and it won't go over night. It's a long slow slog. Get a bike.

• Posted

Sorry, tablet typing....sausage fingers!

They did the blood test when the gout attack had just started.

Yes, slow weight loss is best.....I will do it properly.

I really don't know of any family members who have gout. It is odd.

Suppose all is can don't is be as healthy as poss, and as you say,

drink loads of water?

• Posted

OK first, when the attack starts the urate comes out of solution and becomes crystals causing gout. Therefore during an attack the blood irate will be below 6. GPs seem not to know this basic fact. The fact of a "normal" irate level during attack means zilch. Waste of money doing the test. You need to do the test when you have no symptoms.

If it's not genetic another thing will cause gout - the kidneys not firing on all four cylinders- caused by disease or age. I'm sure other issues will cause it too - as will not drinking enough water, or taking diuretics.

• Posted

Wow, that all makes sense.

Defo more water!

No diuretics here.....

Let's see how long I can stave off the next lot using your advice!

Thank you and good luck?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.