Having to wait until late Jan for a full colonoscopy.

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I have finally been put in a waiting list, down as urgent for a full colonoscopy. I was told from the hospital no later than just after the new year. Phoned up last week to see if there was any progress and now I have been told I am looking at late January.

My pain is getting worse and I'm constantly 'leaking' Jelly. I went to my doctor and they didn't seem to care. They gave me 8mg of cocodamol and told me there is nothing else they can give me. I feel so along and lost. It's as if no one cares or gets it.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Just wanted to say really sorry to hear about your news. It's a horrible waiting game I had one failed colonoscopy - reacted to the drugs they tried to give me so had to go through the whole waiting game again for another appointment and know how disappointing it feels when you finally thought you were nearly there. I had another which went fine but apparently didn't find anything.

I don't have any real advice but just wanted to say don't feel alone - there an amazing community here who really picked me up when I felt rubbish and like no one was listening to me - but whatever you do keep at it and don't give up. Hopefully they will be able to find out what's causing your problems and do something to help you.

Thinking of you. X

• Posted

January isnt that far

away now.you could call back and ask to

go on the cancellation list. You could try using a pad to help with the leaking.

if your pain is really bad, you maybe need to consider a and e.

youre not alone.

good luck

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are suffering. The waiting is the worst part sometimes and I've had similar experiences with appointments. Keep ringing up to check if there's any change - it might sound daft but the more of a pain you are the more they remember your name so if a cancellation does come up they'll think of allocating it to you. It's worked for me in the past! Don't give up hope, your health is important and you will get there eventually. I hope you get your appointment soon and can get sorted.

• Posted

Hi Little Turtle

I am sorry that you have been going through the mill a bit Little Turtle. Although I think you have a marvellous amount of confidence and strength which will help you get through this. I have seen your picture but I would like to know how old you are? I know when I was young and suffering that something inside seemed to say that you have to make a fuss to make sure they treat you properly and get to the bottom of things. I  have a feeling that this is where you are at the moment.

So I do get it, and I suspect a lot of others who have written to you, do as well, because we have all had our bridges to cross and mountains to climb. I think you are needing them to treat you as an adult and one that knows there is something wrong in your own body.It doesn't have to be something frightening or really bad, but your instincts are trying to tell you that you need to get it sorted, so that you can spend the time getting well instead of worrying. I think the NHS is so stretched at the moment, that they dragging their heels with you at the moment. I suspect that they feel you are young and strong and can wait, but you have as much right as anyone else to get your colonoscopy quickly. I think you have every right to ask if you can go to another hospital to get this done quicker!!! I don't know where you live, but I live in Devon, and my normal Hospital would be Torbay. but because they were dragging their heels on a particular point I went back to my own Doctor and asked to be referred to The Royal Devon & Exeter who saw me almost immediately, and gave me the extra help and advice I needed, whereas the others were still squabbling about the diagnosis, so be strong, you are right to be concerned about your own body you have a lot of life to live and should be dealt with in that way. Good luck, but I will be waiting to see what you have been able to do.  Best wishes and lots of love

Sheila 51371

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.