Rubella or Scarlet Fever!

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son who will be 3 in April has been on antibiotics (not penicillin as his allergic). He also has asthma. His diagnosis GP- after noticing the rash 2 days prior is German measles. He however has a strawberry tongue and his feverish. His head is aching and when noticing the rash 2 days prior his tummy kept running. He ate less than normal. His also Chesty. How do i know what his got if German measles have similar symptoms. This child has been in and out of hospital since he was just under 6 weeks old pneumonia and grommets and adenoids. I am so worried.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Does the rash on his skin feel rough like sandpaper when you lightly run your hand over it? If so this is probably scarlet fever but if not then its more likely to be Rubella. Whatever it is keep him away from anyone who is pregnant, or having chemotherapy or the very elderly.  
  • Posted

reat patients who have scarlet fever with a standard 10-day course of oral penicillin VK or erythromycin. Patients can also be treated with a single intramuscular injection of penicillin G benzathine. These regimens may prevent acute renal failure if antibiotics are initiated within 1 week of the onset of acute pharyngitis. First-generation cephalosporins may also be used.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.