Restrictive Breathing For 5 Years

Posted , 6 users are following.

For quite some time now ive had this feeling of something blocking my airway in my throat or my airway has somehow become smaller. It feels like when i breathe it's all fine until it hits the bottom of my neck. Sort of where that little indent is when your neck meets your chest.I always feel like i have to try to breathe normally. It's so bad that i can never fall asleep unless I'm dead tired. The feeling never goes away, from right when i fall asleep, to right when i wake up. I have been diagnosed with GERD and I am on two pills daily for it. I was diagnosed with asthma when i was younger, but i rarely ever have symptoms of it anymore. Plus I always got more of a tight chest type of feeling. I've had bloodwork done and even had an Ultrasound done on my neck. I thought it could have been a thyroid related problem, or just something. But they deemed me as being perfectly fine. It's driving me insane. To keep suffering and getting no answers no matter where I go. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would also like to add that this all started proabably about 6 months after i was in a severe car accident. The back of my skull was fractured, fractured pelvis in 3 places, had a bad case of pneumonia.IF that could have any sort of impact.
    • Posted

Hello Nix,

I get like that, in the throat, but my breathless is the worst thing for me to manage, however since I have been taking nystatin for my Gerd, and alkalising my system by drinking half a teaspoon of Bi carb soda with lemon juice in a full glass of water 3 times per day, it is easing off a bit, I will continue to do this. You also may find it helpful for your symtoms Nix.

• Posted

I've had all of those symptoms plus more. I've had so many tests I can't even recount them all. I was diagnosed with GERD and was told not to eat 3 hours before bed. I took the medication as instructed and the lump in the bottom of my throat went away but my stomach problems continued. My biggest problem is the breathing issues and my inability to catch my breath or I lose my breath easy. I also have a burning type smell that I think comes from my stomach. The doctors are unable to explain this. I did have a pacemaker put in and after the pacemaker I started having major breathing problems. One of my doctors suspect he might have punctured my lung because I have upward blunting in an x-ray after the surgery. I also have chronic atelectasis since the surgery. I sure wish someone would come up with something that helped. I did go on a gluten-free diet about a month-and-a-half ago and that seemed to help a very little bit. If anyone has any other ideas, I sure would like to hear them. This has created so much anxiety with me. I can barely get through a work week.

• Posted

Hello Nix,

I get like that, in the throat, but my breathless is the worst thing for me to manage, however since I have been taking nystatin for my Gerd, and alkalising my system by drinking half a teaspoon of Bi carb soda with lemon juice in a full glass of water 3 times per day, it is easing off a bit, I will continue to do this. You also may find it helpful for your symtoms Nix.

• Posted

I feel for you as I go through very similar things on a daily basis.  I've been taking omeprazole for Acid Reflux (GERD) for a few years now and have tried to cut out spicy, acidic foods pretty much from my diet - for me that's an absolute necessity as I just ate one small slice of pizza the other day and the sour acid wasted no time coming up.  My problem is a constant throat clearing - I ALWAYS feel like there's a blockage right in the middle of my throat.  One thing that may be a contributing factor for me is that I have chronic sinusitis (CT scans showed a complete blockage with barely any mucus drainage from my sinuses) and even though I do a Neti Pot Sinus Rinse every day I never get that open feeling in my throat.  I know what you mean when you say it's driving you insane - this has brought my anxiety level to a whole new high as I want so badly to take normal breaths and be able to breathe through my nose but it's a constant struggle.  I heard a while back that drinking high alkaline water helps with the GERD so I stock up on that at a local market (try to get one with a 9.5PH) and drink that every day but so far have not noticed much difference.  Some of my doctors suggest I see a "head" doctor and get on mood stabilizing drugs because of my constant office visits and worrying about my health,  but my blood work, scans and x-rays all confirm these problems I'm having.  I had an Upper GI this past March because I had such trouble swallowing my food and they stretched (dilated) my esophagus and of course found I have gastritis and an hiatal hernia at that time.  I believe for me that's all inter-related with the sinusitis, GERD, esophagus problems and I do have mild COPD and Obstructive Sleep Apnea to top it all off. So in answer to your question, yes I do experience what you are and it is driving me insane and I've followed all of my doctor's suggestions and have found very little relief.  I hope you have better luck than me getting to the root of your problem and getting a solution real soon - at least from the sound of it your tests and health seem to be good so think about diet, maybe some meditation, relaxation and breathing exercises as that could never hurt.  Health worries always raise one's anxiety level and mediataion can help lower anxiety so that, with diet changes may be a good place to start.  I've already signed up for a Mindful Meditation class for myself that begins next month; keeping my fingers crossed!  Best of luck to you!

• Posted

GERD can interfere with the vagal nerve affecting the heart. GERD can irritate the throat and airways. Pneumonia and trauma is a risk factor for fluid around the lungs, blood clots in the lungs and this may also increase the pulmonary arterial pressure (your PB measured on your arm may be OK independently of PAH).
  • Posted

that is a mighty severe injury...I would consult with your neurologist.

t hope this is sorted out for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.