Surgery l4l5

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have a large prolapse disc l4 l5 and due to have decompression surgery in 2 weeks time terrified to b honest anyone out there had good results with this surgery ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Every ones different, I had no choice as to have surgery as my discs where compressing on my spinal cord. So my operation was so I could walk again and use my bowl and bladder. Realistically for the first 6 to 8 wks I was on so much pain relief it's hard to tell if you have benefited. Scar tissue can also irritate the nerve endings. Only time will tell . My first op was 3 year ago and there's talk of another in the new year . I have a few issues as well as degenerative disc . Drying out and compression on nerves affecting my legs and leaving me in chronic pain . Also trouble with discs in the neck area . Good luck

• Posted

Yes I did - though on L5/S1.  18 months post op and I have no sciatic pain. Best decision I ever made.  My advice would be:

- only consider having the operation if you just can't function without it (I could barely walk and going numb where you don't want to be! So really no option)

- try and get up as soon as possible post op to keep it moving (obviously you should check wtih the doctors/nurses if it's safe to do so in your case).  I was up within 30 mins to go to the loo.  Painful even with the morphine but knew I wasn't going to damage anything.  Was even having a shower less than 12 hours later.

- be very careful on recovery - do not push yourself too much - I did Pilates too soon and regretted it.  I worked from home for 6 weeks post surgery which is ideal but not everyone can do this.

- I found that sitting and standing were impossible for any length of time for about a month or so and so found a very effective way of working lying down!

Don't be terrified - I found the whole thing quite easy - boredom was my main problem. Think and stay positive and stick to the advice of the doctors!

Good luck!

• Posted

Just to add about the pain - most of it was from tensing muscles on standing and sitting.  I was on codeine for about 48 hours and then just ibuprofen/paracetemol for about a week. I didn't need anything after that.  So I was very fortunatel

• Posted

Everyone is different so we can all give are own experience s but it dosnt mean to say you'll find your experience the same . Hope all goes well .

• Posted

I generally agree with Nutters. My op was on L5S1 as well, back in June. It did the job exactly as planned. The sciatica went almost immediately and the really serious muscle weakness I had is getting better all the time. I reckon that will be back to normal in another 6 months.

I screwed my recovery by doing way to much exercise too soon and I might go in for a revision, but learn from us here and take it easy. At 6 weeks I was pretty much pain free most of the time. I was able to walk for an hour or so and was getting into my physio. Sitting always takes longer but I was actually able to stand pretty well for about 30-40 mins so that's how I worked from week 5. I would stand at my ikea standing desk for 40 mins then lie for 20, in my home office. My over exercise was really stupid, I hiked 700m up a mountain. But I guess it just goes to show how good I was feeling. The pain hit me the next day.

anyway, in general, micro d is very successful. They are the most common back surgery. Hundreds of thousands a year worldwide. So, while I deeply respect everyone on this forum, honestly I do, we here are not a representative sample. The 90%+ of people who have successful ops don't come here. And those that don't but do subsequently find a solution, I suspect, tend not to come back and tell everyone know. They just get on with their lives.

So, don't be terrified. Just read all the advice you can about recovery. That is where it becomes up to you to make the successful op stick. Chances are that you will be up and moving well within days. Follow Nutters advice. I can't put it better than that smile

• Posted

I had a "discetemy" two months ago and it was a complete success , so far. 10 % re rupture within 3 months so I've another month to go. 80% are successful 10% no difference, 10 % get worse. If u can wait up to a year your body will re absorb the rupture apparently. I could not wait , was in constant pain for 3 months, couldn't sit, drive and woke up every night when the painkillers wore off. Also I'd lost feeling in my left foot.

good luck!

• Posted

I had a microdisectomy just under two years ago.

Funny, but I am just starting to get used to sitting down. Since the op, I have got into the habit of either laying down or standing up.For example I'll go the pub and go straight to the high table with the high stools.

I use my laptop on my bed or standing up on my desk. I even prefer to watch tv in my bedroom than use the living room, so I can lay down. 

• Posted

No, think it depends on who is doing the decompression !!!
  • Posted

Thank u all for your comments they are reassuring however from what I can gather recovery is a long process I'm a mum of a 1 and 2 year old and work as a nurse was hoping to get back 6 weeks post op but maybe this to optimistic!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.