Newbie needs advice ladies!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Brief history - suffered with bad periods for years but just put up with it and got on with life! ... Until 6 weeks ago my last period was so bad that I couldn't walk.. GP referred me to local hospital for an ultrasound.. Consultant said I had a 2.8cm fibroid and a couple of other little ones.... Take shrinking meds and think over next 3 months whether a hysterectomy was an option.. Went home... 2 days later pain was more intense than I can describe so went back to GP.. I had BUPA cover so she referred me privately... 2 days later I'm with this new consultant who takes one exam of me and rushes me in for an immediate MRI.. Results were that I had a 16cm impacted fibroid blocking my kidney and bowel!!! ... How on earth can the scan at the local hospital have missed that?? Anyway result was a semi emergency total hysterectomy including tubes, ovaries, cervix the lot 4 days later.... So all whipped out with not a lot of time to consider anything really...Still feeling a little shell shocked but she said time wasn't an option :-(

Due to the size of the fibroid (and others they found) and location I had to have a vertical incision, I was in hospital for 4 nights and have now returned home which is where the problem starts... Although the consultant and the hospital were great I'm really unsure as to what I can and can't do. I'm struggling to just sit, never been a sofa and TV kind of person and am finding I'm naturally doing things that I'm not sure I should be. Everything I read varies so much so I thought the best people to ask would be the ladies who've gone through it too :-).. I'm Day 7 post op and went for a little walk for 20 minutes yesterday and last night and this morning feel like I've gone back to Day 2 :-( Any advice would be welcome please :-) x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

WOW, one minute all intact and the next all gone, must have been  a shock poor you, Welcome Deborah.

Basically, no lifting anything heavier than a kettle for about 6 weeks no vacuuming, sweeping (pulling, pushing) walking is fine I was walking my dogs the day I came out of hospital (but then I'm not human LOL) I also hate lounging around but to a certain point you really need to in order to heal, do you like reading? I do so made the most of it.

Phoebe. x

• Posted

Thanks Phoebe 😀

Looks like I'm getting the books out then! I've got 2 Siberian huskies who think I or anyone else walking them is a sledge at the best of times so probably not a good idea to give that a go! Lol.. I'll stick to walking solo to the village shop! 😀

• Posted

German Shepherd and Border Collie here. I love Siberian Huskies but their life is all about pulling you'd better have someone else walk them for the time being, we have a couple living near us who race their Huskies (6 of them) and sometimes you can hear them on the common practising, it's also quite a sight to see, dog noise doesn't bother me, the noise is tremendous, they get so excited.

• Posted

I am day 9 so we are close together in recovery. I downloaded a book from hysterectomy association that gives ideas of how much you should and should not do. Worth a look. Not that I am sticking religiously to it. Read all the other posts about being kind to yourself. You have had major surgery that you were not prepared for mentally. I am still needing rests a.m. and p.m. But need to monitor these or I am awake half the night. Like you I am not used to sitting still. I have been having short walks around where we live. Trying for 2 each day. At the pace I am managing they are about 6 minutes each. Yesterday I managed to do the circuit twice in the afternoon. As you have found your body lets you know when you have gone too far. All the best for a speedy recovery. 
    • Posted

Thanks.. I'll have a look at that book.. Your body definitely does tell you! 😀

• Posted

Also, No driving until you can safely do an emergency stop without hurting, some insurance companies need proof from your doc to say you are ok to drive.
  • Posted

Hi Deborah, my heart goes out to you with all you've been through although it sounds as if they saved your life. When you said how could they have missed the fibroid on the ultrasound it struck a cord with me. Basically lots can be unseen on ultrasound and often you rely to heavily on the skill of the radiographer. It's shocking in your case. You were lucky you had a back up plan and it worked out for you.

I had a total hysterectomy in 2013 and not to worry you too much am still recovering of sorts now. The treatment on having the op is usually great, j was in a private hospital too so felt looked after, but post op there's not a lot of support.

If your ovaries have gone they should be talking about HRT as you'll hit the menopause immediately.

I've just started oestrogen only HRT after struggling massively for the last 2 years I've relented. Don't wait as long as I did as it's not worth losing your life and hats how it feels.

In terms of your recovery your body will tell you and you don't want to be pushing it too hard. You'll get tired just showering and brushing your teeth! You don't realise the act of lifting your arms has a huge effect on your abdominal muscles and you must take care not to aggregate the stitches. It took me at least 3 months to start doing normal things without pain.

Good luck and look after yourself first and foremost.

X

• Posted

Hi Deborah,

You've been through LOTS in a short time.  Everyone gave you such excellent advice there's little more to add except to say that we're all here for you!  

Please let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Hi, oh my goodness what a story and to be rushed into surgery so fast!

Now that you are home you really need to rest! Do not lift anything heavier than a tea kettle. Give your body a chance to settle and heal. I think 6 weeks is the recommended time.

I had a partial vaginal hysterectomy so mine was much less complicated.

Hope you are fine and just heal and you will never look back!

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you to everyone for all your advice and support.. It's great to know that there are people to chat to about things x

• Posted

Hi Deborah,

I'm one week post full hysterectomy. I was told plenty of rest, no heavy lifting, no intercourse, not too many stairs and to pretty much take it easy for the first 6-8 weeks. I had the Davinci method so I only have 5 small incisions. I've had a vertical cut for a previous surgery so referring back to that surgery I was told no housework, no lifting, no carrying, no bending, no stretching and nothing that will cause me to over exert my abdomen. I know it's difficult to sit and do nothing. I wound up cooking Christmas Eve and Day dinner when I should've been resting. I am now feeling that I over did things. Rest and take it easy. You don't want them to have to reopen you to fix anything!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.