Pressure in gums after dental implant failure

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a dental exraction followed immediately with placement of screw of upper pre-molar back in May 2016, and after a week, there was severe pain that I have to get the screw out.  Since then, my gums have been experience severe contraction and pressure.  Most part of the day, I could feel the skull and eye socket crashing onto me.  The tongue will also self contract and spasms in the throat area.

The dentisit said that it could be an occlusive dysaethsia.  I am already on Amitryptyline, Lyrica and Tramadol for the past 5 months but the condition not improving. 

My condition is so bad that I could not function at all.  There are days where i would even have to be warded and on ketamine infusion.

Anyone could share?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds very upsetting to say the least. Very sorry that this has happened to you. Keep searching for help until you get answers to what caused all your symptoms. 

• Posted

dysaethsia means unpleasantness...I would see a different dentist to uncover what the first dentist did wrong.
  • Posted

I had a full dental clearance with 2 implant poles in my lower jaw to fix the lower dentures. @5 days of getting over the surgery and the immediate pain but was controlled on strong painkillers. Then it hit. I have never been in so much pain in my life. My mouth took over my body. My tongue couldn't keep still. Bits of bone were working to the surface and causing ulcers in the mouth and on the tongue. I have a very high pain threshold but it was the worst I've ever felt and it went on for @ 5 weeks. My appointment to see the surgeon finally arrived. I drove 1 1/2 hours for the visit. I got there and he was sick. They had only tried to contact me via mobile. Well I had a nervous breakdown. I was sure I couldn't go on. Another appointment was made for 5 days later. That was a 21/2 hour drive. I was having trouble concentrating on my driving because my mouth had taken over my attention. I finally saw him. He was pretty nonchalant about my story. He took a look and said that I had healed well. There were just 2 spots he had to do more surgery on. I drove home feeling a little better coz of the local anaesthetic. That started wearing off early evening and it all started to build up again. I took my strong painlikillers and went to bed. The next day I was like a new woman. The pain had disappeared. I could have cried ( some more). Now it's been 2 ish months and despite having moving floaties behind my gums I think I'm ready for dentures. The bottom one have to wait as they are implants. I can't believe that some people have dentures straight away I could barely put up with my tongue.

in short mouth, dental,jaw pain is the worst and I fully empathise. I'm sure I've not been much help. My joke is that I became addicted to bonjella and suffered withdrawals.

take care.

• Posted

To follow up on my story. The severe pain that I had could have been from the increase of opioids. It turns out ( so my psychiatrist says) that if you are a long term opioid user that any new pain from another source is amplified due to a change to the pain receptors. If the opioid dose is increased the pain intensifies. My medical history and drug therapy was available to the dentist and the anaesthetist. I am so cross about this. I feel like my whole case has been mismanaged. Lack of information, wrong advice, poor follow up and negligence. For example I phone the surgery to ask if I could finally get dentures. I was told yes but only a top set as the bottom implants need to be tested in February more delay. Anyway I took my self to my regular dentist who said that denture fitting for upper and lower set should be done together so the "fit" is level. I stormed out of the surgery. I was very unhappy. I then found an email from the surgeon s nurse saying dentures have to wait until the implants have been tested. Conflicting advice as usual. At the beginning I was told that I wouldn't be toothless for a long time. I think a long time has already passed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.