Could you be considered an artificial joint hoarder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have you pondered how many different types of artificial joints are available. I have had all fingers multiple times, grommets, wrist, DRUJ, hip, knee, elbow, soon a shoulder.

We are always discussing the serious side of joint replacement, but have you considered...

Reduction dieting is difficult...am I allowed to deduct the weight of these joints?

And when I die, how much would a junkyard pay for the scrap parts?

They say, your knee should last 20 years...what is that in miles?

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

your post gave me a smile, thanks hon.  I have titanium plates/bolts/fixings in my right ankle/leg made of titanium - I just googled for the price of pure titanium and discovered i'm not worth a whole lot - just $8.50 per pound - approx £15 per kilo. Guess nobody is going to bother to recycle me on expiry smile However I do have a gold tooth filling in one of my back teeth - somebody could always dig that out and send of in one of those 'cash for gold' envelopes, hehe.

• Posted

I wouldn't part with my titanium hip and shoulder for sentimental reasons as well as them holding me together.

The titanium in my shoulder never set the alarms off at airports the way my hip has.

The hip joint must have more vanadium in it than the shoulder which has higher aluminium content.

My hip joint which is the much maligned resurfacing implant was made locally, about 20 odd miles away.

As an engineer I'd love to have a look at the hip joint when and if it wears out.

My next artificial joint will be the knee but unlike the hip which was plain sailing I'm not looking forward to having that done and keep hoping there'll be an alternative soon.

Scrap value mightn't be much but I'll be toasting my hip this xmas

• Posted

My leg doesn't set off airport scanners either - although the underwiring in my bra does sad so I still get frisked hehehe.

I too love my bionic stuff - without it I would have had an amputation so I'm very very grateful for it.  Knee on that side has taken some pounding due to the altered gait etc., trying hard to ignore it though.

• Posted

Really, only $8.50 per pound!

I could hardly answer I was laughing so hard over digging the gold filling out in a cash for gold envelope!

You are so veru funny!

big warm hug

judith

• Posted

I am supposed to have a total shoulder in February...aluminium? like foil in my kitchen drawer!

My knee rings.

Perhaps we should have a convention in Hawaii...we can meet at the airport and go through the TSA together!

• Posted

Aluminium eh......when your time comes, they can shove a turkey in with you and bingo - the funeral buffet is sorted - such black humour we have smile

• Posted

I just love it...I saved the three screws that held my hip together. Rheywere si anticlimactic...long, yes. But so light weight and hollow! Yes, hollow. With heads for slotted screw driver.

Maybe I will hang them on the tree...perhaps I should glitter them first....

• Posted

I have 7 stainless steel screws in my shoulder and you've got me wondering whether I'd like them as a memento

I've heard of other peoples screws coming loose and being able to tighten them again.

Someone once put a martial arts hold on my shoulder that would incapacitate me but it did nothing hahahahaha so I explained why nothing was happening

• Posted

Maybe we could construct something...an artificial skeleton...and have our names in the Guinness Book of Records!

,I think knees are twenty years...so four more years and we have one knee...actually, I think this is a fabulous idea.....

• Posted

One of the screws in my leg came loose and was 'wandering around' (that's how the ortho surgeon explained it lol), it looked so weird on x-rays.  They opened me up again and took it out and took one of the plates out at the same time, it so improved the pain and mobility problems it was amazing.

• Posted

Was it a broken leg that you had ??

When I used to have motor bikes years ago quite a few of the lads had plates and screws in their legs from accidents.

For some reason I was jealous of their tales of plates and screws and getting about on crutches.

When I fell off my bike and ended up on crutches I found out there was nothing to be jealous about.

When I had another accident 26 years later in 2000 I didn't bounce down the road quite as elegantly as I had as a 16 year old.

I was also doing 110 mph and thought II was going to bounce forever hahahaha

• Posted

oh lawd - surviving a crash at that speed is surely a miracle. Yep, broken leg in the ankle area.  Funnily enough the trauma team said it looked just like a motorbike accident injury, although it wasnt.  I severed the foot from the leg inside the skin - 'tented' they called it.  The ER team managed to save the foot thankfully.  I feel a bit like to the bionic man.  "we have the technology, etc etc".  Just miffed that when arthritis set in due to the loss of cartilage, for ankle joints there's no remedy, unlike knees and hips etc.  Maybe one day.........

• Posted

Oh gawd - pls not donald trump - He looks like a long haired guinea pig smile

• Posted

I've never heard of arthritis of the ankle, does it feel anything like the pain in the knee??

If I had the option of a head transplant off Donald Trump or a donkey's then it would have to be the donkey

• Posted

hahahaha

I wish I have all of these bits and bobs cause I jumped Grand Teton on my Harley but it's just plain ole 54 years of JRA...

• Posted

where did rhe blobd hair come from....go look back when he took Marla Maples as his mistress to Aspen when he was still married to Ivana...his hair was brown!!!!
    • Posted

I think OA in the ankle only happens as a result of injury rather than 'wear and tear' .  There is a large area of cartilage between the leg bone and foot bones where the foot flexes from the leg, which was destroyed in my ankle when the foot came away from the leg.  Any joint without cartilage or with cartilage inflammation gets OA.  As to the pain - it's 'bone' pain so I'm guessing very similar to any arthritis pain anywhere else.  I have OA in my thumb joints and the pain is similar, the only difference being that there is also nerve damage to the leg, which hurts in a different way in addition to the OA.

• Posted

I never thought about it - I guess the surgical team dumped them in the bin smile Would have been interesting to see them but I was out of it at the time hahahah.

• Posted

Oooooh nerve pain in awful as I remember well when my hip was on its way out.

I don't remember much pain with the hip, it was the stiffness and lack of mobility that got to me.

Touch wood, my thumbs are OK but my index and middle fingers on one hand and wrist on the other have arthritis

I was expecting knuckle damage on my left hand from when I boxed, but no its the middle knuckles.

I don't go along with people blaming running for knee injuries either.

I think it's just luck of the draw and we drew short straws.

• Posted

I think  you're right Larry - luck of the draw.  I've had the thumb joint problem since I was in my 30's - at the time they diagnosed it as tenosynivitis.  I've never had them x-rayed or MRI on the thumbs but just got told recently 'oh it's probably arthritis'.  I didnt have any other arthritis issues until after the accident - it's just sort of 'spread' since then.  Now in addition to the ankle, I have it in the upper spine, just starting in one knee and the shoulder - the ortho surgeon said that its not  unusual for inflamed cartilage to cause a knock on effect.  so luck of the draw is spot on i guess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.