Need a colonoscopy but im scared, never had one before.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have had stomach issues for a year now and ibs for years. I suffer from sever constipation and have came to a point i dont want to eat because about an hour or two later my left and right side will start shooting pain back and forth. Mostly my left side, it feel like a gallbladder attack but i have no gallbladder. Ive been told its always to be safe then sorry and had ct scan and everything was good. So thought id get a colonoscopy would be a next step in stomach issues but would like too know the process of it and is it painful? Do you get put under or do they just numb your body, how does it work?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah. You will probably get lots of answers. All I can tell you is that mine was no problem. Just a few seconds of discomfort and no nerves. I was mildly sedated but was wide awake and remember it all. I think you have to be aware in case you are asked to move slightly etc. Follow the prep instructions carefully. Let us know how you get on. 
    • Posted

Thank you, in away it helps knowing it was mild not horrible. 😕

• Posted

Hi Sarah... I too was very worried, I had one last month. I was more worried about the sedation and being half doped. I opted to have no sedation and if needed- gas and air.

It was fine and there was only 3 times (that were like cramps)- when more air was put in that I had to stop talking and breath away the pain.

It was great to see my colon and ask questions.

Far worse, was the prep- having to drink so much in one evening was difficult and the taste after a litre made me gag and gave me the shivers. But- it is only 1 evening and we are fortunate that tests can be done to detect cancer early( mind was clear) as in the past people didn't have this opportunity.

I hope your goes well.

• Posted

Sarah

I've had 3 colonoscopies in my life. The doctors I've had automatically put me under. I found that since I get so nervous before medical procedures that works better for me. As someone else said in a response to your question-- drinking all that 'not so great' tasting clear liquid to cleanse you first, is for me the part I liked the least. But, I know that others seem to drink it without it being much of an issue. Your gastroenterologist will let you know if you will be lightly sedated or given a general anesthesia.

Good luck, you can do this and it give you some answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.