How do ladies cope with routine mammogram?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm still working with Physio to regain ROM after proximal humerus fracture some months ago. I've been called for my routine mammogram. Has anyone managed to lift and hold arm up for this procedure? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine,

​Fractured my humerus in February and had a mammogram at the end of May.  I found it very difficult and only just managed to get arm up high enough and the lady said the xray might not be of suffiicient quality to have a conclusive result.  I now know I should have waited another month or two which would have made a big difference to mobility, rather than having the uncertainty of a poor image.

​Regards,

Sian

• Posted

Thank you. I hadn't even thought of the quality of the image being affected.

• Posted

this may be very difficult for you.

Perhaps the technician can devise a support.

You could consider giving yourself an additional six months if your previous mammograms have been clear.

• Posted

Thank you for your imput. I have a Physio session tomorrow so will run things past her. I will then ring the Breast care unit to see if, as you suggest, the technician can support arm in some way. In the last two years, four friends have been diagnosed with breast cancer so I'm a bit

irrationally " worried" about missing a screening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.