regarding a previous septoplasty op

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've undergone a septoplasty op on 30 Dec 2015 in response to a CT scan which showed a mild deviation to the right of septum + inferior hypertrophied turbinates. Now I feel just a little better but I still feel far my breathing optimally since I feel I need more force to suck in air during the day and I switch unconsciouslyt to mouth breathing during sleep so I'm going to search for another doc but before I do so, I'd like to know:

1) Is it possible for the new doctor to know if my septum is corrected nicely & that the removed cartilage was the minimum possible area or too much was removed unncessarily?

2) Regarding the turbinates, I'm not sure if I'm currently suffering the empty nose syndrome because I'm plagued with dryness and crust up till now most of the time so is it possible for the new doctor to tell if too much turbinate tissue was removed unnessarily or just an adequate amount was removed?

3) if the turbinates have been enlarged a bit lately, is it possible to reduce the size again through a second revsion without taking any more tissue? (may be through a coblated reduction technique or using an ultrasound reduction technique perhaps without the need to get general anesthetic again which freaks me out? - like just getting the turbinates reduced in the office or so, using local anesthetic only.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I am no doctor but have had some struggles myself.

1) see another doctor who will give you an opinion

2) some dryness ongoing is a risk of this surgery. Various environmental and topical treatments are available. A good ENT can advise

3) have you had an MRI? This will show both any turbinate hyper trophy plus soft tissue. There are non-invasive alternatives to relieve swelling.

ENTs are not all experts in nasal air dynamics. I was onto my 4th before I started to get real answers. Keep trying. Hope this helps.

• Posted

You're are right. Not all ENT's are experts in nose especially in air dynamics. I'm from Egypt and I can hardly find anyone who I can trust and I'm not interested to go back to the one who did my septoplasty as he tends to be lip tied and don't speak to me in detail about his options to treat me and I don't feel like he has lots of modern options in the first place so I don't want him to touch my nose again so I'm really stuck right now. I'm thinking about travelling to the UAE or India to have it done but I'm still researching the costs and the possibility to trust someone in either countries. It will be pretty expensive but I really want to be treated right this time with the minimum risk on my turbinate functionality. I just want to breath normally like normal people sad

Do you mind to know from which country are you? and are you suffering from currently? and what treatment have you got?

• Posted

i am a little confussed on what the empty nose syndrome is.. I had an inverted papilloma removed with a ethmoidectomy , maxilectomy, I have basically my lower turbinate left on the right side, it has been about 9 months now and I can't say that besides I breath a whole lot better that I have any ill effects. I do still flush twice daily just out of habbit mainly. Is it possible that you do just have a dry sinus and using a saleen spray thought out the day and a humidifier at night may easy some of your symptoms?

• Posted

Of course you can simply google the keywords "empty nose" but basically, it happens when too much turbinate tissue was removed during a turbinate reduction process. That's what I'm afraid of happened to me so I want to make sure my turbinate functionality is left intace in terms of mucosa and bone.

• Posted

I see, I was told by my ENT that the lower turbinate is mainly the one of concern with empty nose syndrome, it is the one that you use to sense air going through the nose. I have only my lower turbinate left on the right side the middle and upper were removed, maxilectomy, degloveing of the maxillery, and ethmoidectomy with removal of my inverted papilloma. So basically one big sinus on the right side, with a little shelf at the bottom (lower turbinate) , I can sense air going in and out with out any issues.. I hope that you find a doctor as good as the one I had she was very good and I didn't even need any pain meds during my recovery. I did have some packing but that was about it.. I hope you find releif and a good doctor soon !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.