Stored thyroid hormone

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Any advice or experience would be welcome.

How long does it normally take for stored the stores thyroid hormone in your body to be used up? Also is there anything I can do to help speed up the process?

I have Graves' disease and have been on 40mg of Carmibazole for 8 weeks. My thyroid levels have dropped to normal levels seen via blood tests but I'm still having symptoms of hyper. My endo has said that until my body uses up the stored thyroid hormone in my body I won't see major improvements. Don't get me wrong I am seeing very slow signs of improvements but I am having intermittent feelings of anxiety. To the point where it's so strong it's hard to breathe.

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi James,

I have also been on carbimazole for 8 weeks, I find my breathing is a lot better, I don't feel as if my heart is going to burst through my chest anymore either, all I seem to be getting now is really sore aching lower legs, I have put this down to the excess hormones getting used up, generally only lasts about 3 to 4 days, every 2 weeks or so.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Mark.

• Posted

Cheers mark, I can't believe how slow it is to get to feel a little bit normal again. What a crazy illness. Glad to hear your feeling better.

James

• Posted

For the sore legs, hyperthyroid patients lose a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids from their muscles when they are running hyper.  There was a medical research study on this and it showed that hyperthyroid patients benefit from taking Regular L-Carnitine 3,000 to 4,000 mg per day for the muscle problem.  Are  you on a beta blocker?  If not perhaps asking your doc about it would help even at a low dose.  I and several others made a lot of great strides in our recovery by combining medical treatment with naturopathic supplements such as L-Carnitine, vitamin D, magnesium and Omega 3.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.