Discectomy surgery spinal surgeon ,now Neuro ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

after having suregery on L3,4,5 six months ago(previous discussion I put on) I have had numb toes(right foot 2 -3 toes varying) and sometimes right lower leg.These only happened after the surgery as a permanent issue but I am unable to run at all ,walking ok but after 1-2 mile tend to get numb thigh,sometime unco ordinated walk too,,cramps at night and if I do cramp in foot for example got to use other foot to bend it back no strength (all right leg only)

?I need to stress pain free generally so I deem this a success and I am over the moon with the results six month on.

?I was a keen sportsman before but now can't do any at all due to co-ordination and leg strength issues but also have a couple of thorasic discs that are compressing.

?So I asked to see my spinal surgeon and he has got me to have a MRI on thorasic and lower spine (1 hr 10mins in chamber) but has indicated he may have to pass it to a neuro surgeon...(this was before MRI)

?My questions is why are they different and what are orthapedic surgeons allowed to do surgery on ?

?I wondered if anyone had an opinion on why he cant deal with the issue himself.

?I dont want to pester him too much and sound rude asking him why he cant do it.

?thanks very much

?Paul

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul an orthopedic surgeon deals with bones primarily and a neuro deals with the nerves.  You are much better off with a neurosurgeon.  
    • Posted

Thanks Zapamania for that makes sense if he thinks it's a nerve issue

• Posted

I would say the total opposite. I've had two surgeries with an Ortho which were, 1 total success and the other partially successful (still recovering) and one with a Neuro that was a total failure! I'm about to go for a fourth with Ortho. I wouldn't thank you a Neuro surgeon. Trust my Ortho completely and I'm happy for him guide me to the right solution.

It's up to you who you are more comfortable with. However, most Ortho's will only work on your lumbar spine as your spinal cord isn't present! Plenty nerves but no cord. He maybe referring you on as it's Thoracic issues you have as well.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Scott ,I do trust my orthopedic as he has spot on up-to no now buy if he decides a neuro is the way forward I have to take his advice as I think if he could he would fix it...I hope anyway ha ha thanks though
    • Posted

Hi Scott that's interesting to know. Where does the spinal cord end please? I have slipped disk L5 - should I ask to see an ortho or neuro surgeon please?

• Posted

Full cord stops L1/L2. After that it's root nerves. If I were you I'd be seeing a Ortho. But depends what's in your area and who you trust. L5 is the last vertebrae/disc space with S1. Weigh up your options and take plenty advice.

• Posted

Don't ever feel like you are asking too many questions with your dr and when it comes to your spine. My opinion is a neuro deals with the spine and the nerves that carry the signals to your brain for many kinds of function. I always think of ortho as your outer extremities, I'm probably wrong but I personally would not see an ortho for any type of back issue unless that was your only option. I would also make sure the dr you choose is board certified in their field of medicine. Get a second opinion, it can't hurt. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.