horrible bone pain, celiac disease or something worse?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, i am female 27 years old. after a months of terrible bone pain and muscle spasms i was finally diagnosed with celiac disease.  I am really concerned since i have terrible bone pain, i am on gluten free diet only 14 days. I know that bone pain is quite common for silent celiac disease but i am worried it might be cancer also. My alkaline phosfate was in normal range (0,89). My calcium was month ago low (2,07) and now is normal (2,42) but such increasing is worrying me it might be osteosarcoma or multiple myeloma. I have to say that my bones hurts all over the body. Sometimes fingers (hands) sometimes long leg bones, sometimes ribs... I am low on D vitamin, my B12 wasnt checked, my ferritin level is very low,7. My tsh is 4.31, t3 and t4 are normal. iPTH is nornal, Is my bone pain due to low ferritin and low d vitamin or should i be worried about cancer? Please help sad. Thank you so much!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I would have thought it highly unlikely you have cancer. Your symptoms could also be due to vitamin D deficiency, if you look it up you will see that it can cause quite nasty bone pain. What reading have you got for your vit D? 
    • Posted

Hi! thank you for your reply!!!! My vitamin D level is 21,8. But i am not sure that this is so low, that would cause me so terrible pain. sad. What do you think?

• Posted

21.8 is considered deficient, it is quite possible it could give you some nasty pain. Are you taking supplements to push it up?
    • Posted

i am taking 2000 iu D3 per day. do you think that is ok?
    • Posted

Sounds good. I was 26 and have managed to get up to 72 with supplements. It is a good idea to eat something fatty with the tablet apparently such as yogurt. I think it is absorbed better. 
  • Posted

Hi being low in vitamin D will cause bone pain, ask for adcal-3 its vit D and calcium, 14/days is not long enough to see a difference, keep strictly to the diet, exercises will help and eat healthy, also plenty of fluids but I would imagine cancer isn't an option, other things would be red flagging in blood tests.

Speak to your GP regarding your concerns so they can put your mind at rest

• Posted

I think for the moment you have to concentrate on getting the deficiencies sorted out - low vit D is enough to cause your symptoms. The calcium is getting back to normal purely because now you are probably starting to absorb it - you wouldn't have been before. They will have been looking for other things while making the diagnosis and the fact that your calcium was low before suggests it ISN'T bone cancer as does the all-over and moving pain.

So - I'd say, stop worrying! If you don't improve after the gluten-free diet has had a chance to work fully, discuss it with you doctors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.