Concerning thyroid symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'll keep this as short as I can. About two months ago I had some brief light pain on both sides of the base of my neck. After it happened a couple of times I felt around and on the opposite end of my throat below the chin I felt a small hard lump that was fixed in place. In the space of three weeks it grew more than twice the size to around 2.5 centimeters. I wasn't too concerned about it but that's when I noticed a slight gland like swelling where I had experienced the pain. Three weeks later my thyroid could be felt as a bulge on both sides of my neck and was visible if I turned my head to either side. I also had some pea size lymph nodes on the left side of my neck. I had a CBC, full thyroid panel including antibodies all came back in normal. My doctor sent me for a ct with contrast and the report came back no mass detected and thyroid normal?! My Dr. Pal payed both which is why I had the ct in the first place but he seems to accept the results. It's been just over two weeks and now my thyroid is easily visible and extends from below my ears to below the collar bones. I feel like I have a constant lump in my throat, food and drink feel like they are taking longer to swallow, I have an almost constant pressure/pain in my chest right below the throat, I occasionally get shap pains from my neck to my left ear or lower jaw to my left shoulder and now all the lymph nodes on the left side of my neck from the collarbone to the chin are very swollen. The thyroid and the lymph nodes are not tender to the touch. I'm not satisfied with the ct diagnosis but I'm not sure what to think.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you have s goiter! My daughter had the same thing and that's what she had. Get to an endocrinologist as soon as possible to help assess the situation. They can run special tests on your thyroid to help you.  Good luck! 

• Posted

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I go in for an ultrasound later today and now I'm really worried. The thyroid is still huge but the main worry is the hard lump above my Adam's apple. Being nervous I was probing around and I found a somewhat smaller lump on the opposite side. It finally hit me. I know why I could only feel it fully when I turned my head. It's not two lumps... It's one big tumor and it's not outside of the throat, it's in the throat! Putting my fingers on both sides and applying light pressure I could feel the tumor in its entirety. I thought it had slown its growth because it didn't feel much different on the right side but that's because it was growing in. Pretty sure you can't grow a benign tumor like that in a couple of months or even one at all there. That and the thyroid around the same time the question is what metastasized to what?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.